Week Two: It's Been a Bumpy Ride!

SevenOfNine

Standard Member
Jan 13, 2015
Melbourne
Well, if I thought week one was challenging, week two was even more interesting!

I had to re-structure my eating schedule to include slightly more calories on my big workout days, which was a bit challenging mentally. Despite knowing all the theory behind it, my brain sometimes can't compute "We need to eat more on these days so we can complete the tasks that will cause us to lose more long term". I just gotta face the facts: being too weak to work out is only ever going to do more harm than good.

It took a few days of getting used to, but I've now got the hang of cycling calories around my workout schedule. I still never exceed 1200 per day, and when I'm adding up my calories I always take the caloric value of my meals and round the number up to the nearest 50, so I can always be definitely sure I'm not eating too much.

In the second half of the week I had a bit of a meltdown because I gained 300 grams after losing 900 in the first half of the week. I wasn't kind to myself upon seeing that number on the scale (punished myself by working out too hard two days in a row, and didn't allow adequate recovery time) and was generally a big ball of stress until my period arrived yesterday, a week early (I'm putting the irregularity down to hormonal changes from diet and exercise). Silly me! I'd been beating myself up over pre-menstrual bloating!

So now I'm in a bit of a pickle. My heart rate monitor that I wear when I exercise is telling me that I should take 65 hours to recover from the brutal workouts I put myself through on those two days that I was upset about gaining, but I feel like I should still exercise so as not to waste my time on D. Theoretically I should pay attention to what it says, because muscle growth and fitness gains happen during recovery rather than during the workout, but for some reason I feel really guilty about the idea of taking two full days to rest. Perhaps I'll do something light today instead of my usual. I don't know yet.

Anyway, this morning I weighed in again, and I did end up having a loss this week. Not as much as I'd have liked, and I certainly don't think it's enough for the amount of effort I put in diet and exercise-wise especially after those two super-brutal days, but a loss is a loss. Here are the numbers:

Starting Weight (18 January 2015): 103.8kg
Last Week's Weight (25 January 2015): 99.1kg
Current Weight (1 February 2015): 97.6kg
Change This Week: -1.5kg
Total Weight Lost: 6.2kg

Realistically it's a fairly good loss, I just don't know if the extra effort with the additional exercise is reflected in that number though, since 1.3kg of that 1.5 is accounted for in my calories for the week. Maybe there's more being masked by the fact I've got my period? I don't know. It'd be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up, heh.

Now that all the stress over the bloating fiasco is over, I think I've got a good system laid out for my diet, all that remains is deciding between two options for exercise: Either I can keep the intensity reasonably high and only work out every second day, or I can lower the intensity and continue to exercise 6 days a week. As tempting as it is to just continue pushing my body to its absolute limits, I have to remember that I'm not as fit as I want to be yet, and that fitness doesn't happen overnight... I just don't know which option to choose yet.

Anyway, that's all from me this week!
:)

Edit: Well, my body answered the exercise question for me. Got dizzy and had blurry vision halfway through my workout today. I think I'll take the hint.

Last edited:

LollyTerror

Standard Member
Oct 8, 2014
Well, if I thought week one was challenging, week two was even more interesting!

I had to re-structure my eating schedule to include slightly more calories on my big workout days, which was a bit challenging mentally. Despite knowing all the theory behind it, my brain sometimes can't compute "We need to eat more on these days so we can complete the tasks that will cause us to lose more long term". I just gotta face the facts: being too weak to work out is only ever going to do more harm than good.

It took a few days of getting used to, but I've now got the hang of cycling calories around my workout schedule. I still never exceed 1200 per day, and when I'm adding up my calories I always take the caloric value of my meals and round the number up to the nearest 50, so I can always be definitely sure I'm not eating too much.

In the second half of the week I had a bit of a meltdown because I gained 300 grams after losing 900 in the first half of the week. I wasn't kind to myself upon seeing that number on the scale (punished myself by working out too hard two days in a row, and didn't allow adequate recovery time) and was generally a big ball of stress until my period arrived yesterday, a week early (I'm putting the irregularity down to hormonal changes from diet and exercise). Silly me! I'd been beating myself up over pre-menstrual bloating!

So now I'm in a bit of a pickle. My heart rate monitor that I wear when I exercise is telling me that I should take 65 hours to recover from the brutal workouts I put myself through on those two days that I was upset about gaining, but I feel like I should still exercise so as not to waste my time on D. Theoretically I should pay attention to what it says, because muscle growth and fitness gains happen during recovery rather than during the workout, but for some reason I feel really guilty about the idea of taking two full days to rest. Perhaps I'll do something light today instead of my usual. I don't know yet.

Anyway, this morning I weighed in again, and I did end up having a loss this week. Not as much as I'd have liked, and I certainly don't think it's enough for the amount of effort I put in diet and exercise-wise especially after those two super-brutal days, but a loss is a loss. Here are the numbers:

Starting Weight (18 January 2015): 103.8kg
Last Week's Weight (25 January 2015): 99.1kg
Current Weight (1 February 2015): 97.6kg
Change This Week: -1.5kg
Total Weight Lost: 6.2kg

Realistically it's a fairly good loss, I just don't know if the extra effort with the additional exercise is reflected in that number though, since 1.3kg of that 1.5 is accounted for in my calories for the week. Maybe there's more being masked by the fact I've got my period? I don't know. It'd be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up, heh.

Now that all the stress over the bloating fiasco is over, I think I've got a good system laid out for my diet, all that remains is deciding between two options for exercise: Either I can keep the intensity reasonably high and only work out every second day, or I can lower the intensity and continue to exercise 6 days a week. As tempting as it is to just continue pushing my body to its absolute limits, I have to remember that I'm not as fit as I want to be yet, and that fitness doesn't happen overnight... I just don't know which option to choose yet.

Anyway, that's all from me this week!
:)

Edit: Well, my body answered the exercise question for me. Got dizzy and had blurry vision halfway through my workout today. I think I'll take the hint.
Might be a bit late for advice? But for what it's worth... First step - take a really big, deep breath and RELAX. High intensity exercise every second day gives your fitness and muscles a chance to recouperate and rebuild without overdoing it. Obviously the dizzy spell you mentioned would have caused some reassessment of your plans? How about Pilates/yoga or gentle swimming/walking on your 'rest' day? Once you are fit enough for high intensity exercise everyday it'll become routine and you sound very motivated to continue with this :) Secondly... STOP obsessing over the scales! Weigh yourself once a week (if you must) at the same time, same clothes etc. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day, not to mention monthlies. Judge weight loss by how your body feels - is your breathing better? Do your clothes feel less tight? Are others complimenting you on how happy and invigorated you seem? 6kg loss is nothing to sneeze at and very good for only a few weeks. Losing weight too quickly is not healthy and is not sustainable. Hope you're doing well now. How about an update?