• ☝️A newly developed meal plan for people taking Duromine is available now❗️ With a proper diet, you can lose TWICE as much weight 📉!

Water Retention?

T

Trish1965

Standard Member
Nov 6, 2011
Queensland
Hi, my name is Trish , I am 167cm and weigh 130kg, I started duromine 40mg 3 days ago and so far have had no result! The only thing is I now have fluid retention, my ankles and legs are swollen, has anyone else had this happen? A lot of people seem to have results very quickly, so I am not sure if I am doing something wrong! I try to snack on protein, like a boiled egg, some fruit sometimes, and I am only having one coffee a day, but I am managing to drink 2 liters of water a day, usually with ease! Always been able to finish 1.5lt over the whole day, but since starting this I can have 2lt by lunch time!! Definatly do not feel hungry, but make myself eat something. Does anyone know if maybe celery through the day may help? I believe it is a natural diuretic?
Hope someone can help me, I am desperate to get this weight off, I am not getting any younger, but at the moment I am quite healthy, no meds, or problems! Just this fluid and of course the weight!!, and I don't want to start taking fluid tabs, I think your body could become used to them.

Sorry, I cant help. Haven't heard of that?? Maybe you should call your Dr and see what they say.
I have been on 40s for about three weeks now. I have lost about three kilos all up and before the 40s I was on 30s for about two weeks. I have found that the tablets keep me at the same weight, I don't feel like eating and drink a lot of water. I have also eaten more fruit in the past few weeks than I have in my lifetime. I have to say, if I exercise I lose weight - if not I don't.
Sorry, I don't have any better advice...I just hate the idea that you had posted and no one had replied yet. Its nice to have a little support when you start off! I hope all is going well today and the fluid retention fixes itself up soon :(
Good luck!

Thanks size16, it was nice to see a reply! Like you I am on the 40's, I lost 3.1 in my first week, but nothing so far this week, and I am five days in. Like you I guess it's the exercise, but I do try and get out on my bike everyday even if it's only for fifteen minutes. I don't feel hungry but make myself have a small breakfast, lunch and dinner, I figure I can't do much more than that, because I worry that when I go off the tablets I will not have learnt anything if I just don't eat. If these don't work I don't know what to do, maybe the hypnosis for lap banding, because I want to avoid the surgery at every cost!! I guess I will see how my first month goes, and take it from there. I will keep an eye on here for your updates, and will post mine, thanks again ,Trish .

I have been on Metermine 15mg for 5 days. I am drinking approx 3.5 L of water daily and exercise every morning doing Gillian Michaels.. I am currently eating 3 small meals daily but my goal is to get to 5. I thought drinking and excercising this much my body would be flushing out any toxins however I find (without giving to much info) I am only going to the bathroom maybe 4 times a day. Is anyone else experiencing this and is it normal? Someone suggested I may have water retention as I have noticed slowly my weight is going up on the scales, I am not taking much notice as my weigh in day is Monday.

Sodium in diet

Sodium is an element that the body needs to work properly. Salt contains sodium.

Function
The body uses sodium to control blood pressure and blood volume. Sodium is also needed for your muscles and nerves to work properly.

Food Sources
Sodium occurs naturally in most foods. The most common form of sodium is sodium chloride, which is table salt. Milk, beets, and celery also naturally contain sodium, as does drinking water, although the amount varies depending on the source.

Sodium is also added to various food products. Some of these added forms are monosodium glutamate, sodium nitrite, sodium saccharin, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and sodium benzoate. These found in items such as Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, onion salt, garlic salt, and bouillon cubes.

Processed meats, such as bacon, sausage, and ham, and canned soups and vegetables are all examples of foods that contain added sodium. Fast foods are generally very high in sodium.

Side Effects
Too much sodium in the diet may lead to:

• High blood pressure in some people
  • A serious build-up of fluid in people with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, or kidney disease
Recommendations
Sodium in the diet (called dietary sodium) is measured in milligrams (mg). Table salt is 40% sodium; 1 teaspoon of table salt contains 2,300 mg of sodium.

Healthy adults should limit sodium intake to 2,300 mg per day. Adults with high blood pressure should have no more than 1,500 mg per day. Those with congestive heart failure, liver cirrhosis, and kidney disease may need much lower amounts.

The specific amount of sodium intake recommended for infants, children, and adolescents is not clear. Eating habits and attitudes about food formed during childhood are likely to influence eating habits for life. For this reason, it is a good idea to avoid eating too much salt.

You can try a herbal diuretic, or fleurosemide to help flush your body. The herbal ones are quite safe, but if you use the pharmaceutical one do not use it more than once a week, as it may lead to mineral insufficiency. Too much salt certainly makes you retain water, as well as alcohol.

Thank you both for your advise. My daily menu is 1/2 cup porridge, 1 optislim shake and veges and a very small piece of meat. I wonder if the shake has a lot of sodium. I am going to dry a diuretic and see how I go :)

Hi Trish,

I think I am experiencing the same as you fluid retention. I'm day 3 going on day 4 also on 30mg. I'm bloated and was so thirsty the first 2 days that I drank more than I ever had before in a day approx 2 litres. I've gained a kilo and wondering if this could be the reason.

Look forward to your reply.

jes said:
Hi Trish,

I think I am experiencing the same as you fluid retention. I'm day 3 going on day 4 also on 30mg. I'm bloated and was so thirsty the first 2 days that I drank more than I ever had before in a day approx 2 litres. I've gained a kilo and wondering if this could be the reason.

Jes you can try a natural diuretic. It helps a lot with fluid retention. Just do not use it too often as it can lead to mineral insufficiency. I use one twice a week.

jes said:
Hi Trish,

Hi Jes

From my experience when I eat too much salt I will retain fluid, obvious swelling of my ankles and weight gain on the scales. It's probably just the sudden increase in your water consumption but if it continues make sure you see your doctor. It could be a sign that your kidneys aren't coping, for me I would wee only small amounts through the day and huge amounts at night. That was years ago when I had pre-eclampsia, but just thought I'd let you know what symptons to look out for.

Reactions: jes
If you struggle with fluid retention you can try using a natural diuretic. Green tea is a natural diuretic that has been used for centuries in China. Cranberry juice can help with removing excess fluid retention.

I use Celery and Dandelion pills every few days. It is natural and safe - just do not over use it! Below is a link if you want to look at it.

Ausnaturalcare

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everybody.. i know this fluid retention as well..sucks really.. but its only in the beggining you have to give some days to settle down. i had it in the first 2 weeks almost now tha last 5 days duromine works sooo good ,and no retention... i do have occasional bloating from indigestion of food,but i have to find a way to make it away as well.. maybe smaller meals regular.if anybody has experience with bloating pls let me know :)

Catharina, I bloat on a regular basis due to my dietary pitfuls, I try as much as I can to avoid the inevitable. I don't often retain fluid, but when I do I try to eat celery and and have a glass of green tea with lemon.

Hi Jes...can you explain me what do you mean by dietary puffs?

Sorry i meant pitfuls like restrictions. Dairy and gluten intolerant plus ibs.i have a scale of natural tolerance but if that scale is reached then i get symptoms such as bloating and extreme pain. So i try to debloat myself by using remedies mentioned previously.

Hope that helps.

I found if I eat bread or a lot of carbs - even the good ones - I get bloated. Never tested for intolerance but if I listen to my body I think it is not happy with carbs. Take note of what you eat and how it makes you feel.

jes said:
Hi Trish,

Hey ladies :) I have trouble with fluid retention too but was before taking duromine, currently on the 30mg. MUST HAVE is dandelion tea- tastes earthy, easy drink like green tea, I once was so backed up with fluid retention that when I drank one tea I lost 2kg of just water weight overnight. If you are like me and like salty things ... That can cause fluid retention, also too much coffee doesn't help ( another vice I have) . The brand I use is " clipper dandelion tea" . I am a dancer and dancers and body builders use it for a safe way to lose fluid and aid digestion. Drink it during the day though, and lots of water . Just drink what you usually would during the day. I've also heard you can drink too much water so check it with your dr of how much you should have. But yeah, dandelion tea works a treat, if your digestive system hasn't had a good clean out in a while it may mean drinking it causes u to lose even more fluid retention:) note , it doesn't give you the runs or anything and is completely natural. Once I spend some time having it daily, I only have one after a big meal or a family dinner or night out . Ps do not drink it before bed :) it will make you wake up to go toilet, other then that it's amazing, removes puffiness from face, knees, arms and tummy:)

I normally pay $8 a pack so above link is cheaper:). I am not a sales pitcher so just trying to show u a pic of what works for me:) lots of brands out there but I found this to be the best money wise and result wise . Good flavour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ariesblonde and jes
Hi - I have been on the 30mg for 1 week now. Everything was going so well for the first 4 days - was losing weight, not feeling hungry, and now BAM! fluid retention! I actually put on weight again despite the restricted food intake over the week. It's depressed me. I also have a bland yuck taste in my mouth. Can someone tell me if this side effect of fluid retention will pass? Has anyone else had this in the first week, like me, and then it settled on its own and the weight loss continued?