wow, sorry to hear this ladies ,maybe you both need to up your meds, Donna Frame you weigh a little more than me when I first started, and my doc changed me over from 30mg to 40 mg last week after three weeks on 30mg, huge difference, not wanting to eat at all have to force myself ..not sleeping though so that can be a down side, lol ..Biddy maybe after a week you should go see your doc again and tell her it i not working for you, and maybe she will then give you a higher dose, but remember it is ok to have an appetite, it is more about Duromine helping you to feel fuller quicker , so that you do not over eat, or have cravings, hope you get it sorted out soon, keep going !!

Thanks guys, im thinking of doubling my dose but coz im fifo i will end up finishin the tsblets before im due back, was thinking on doubling the dose for a few days to see if it will kick start then go back down to 1 a day? Last night was the first sleepless night i had was in bed 12:30 tossin n turnin for hrs n got up at 5am i couldn b bothered any longer, still not able to eat less tho lol

Ive had another sleepless night, also managed to pick up a cold n soar throat so that didnt exactly help, scales show about 1 pound lighter, if i up the does to 30 ill prob end up as a zombie :/

Biddy ,when you say you hungry do you mean you have an appetite, and want to eat like you normally do??. Or do you mean, you are constantly Hungry, even when you eat all your meals ??The sleepless nights are a real pain , it takes a while for your body to adjust ,and just keep forcing yourself to go to bed, I have been struggling with that for 4 weeks, last night was the first time I went to bed at 10pm and fell asleep straight away, and slept right through the night ,still have black rings under my eyes though, hahah, hoping for a few more early nights like this, I am assuming it had to do with me exercising really intense yesterday, that got me dog tired last night ,or just that my body has finally given in to me sleeping normal hours again .. Sorry to hear about your sore throat, the fact that you lost 1 pound is gr8 !!or did you not eat ,because of your sore throat ?

Reactions: Melmo
Hi All.

Im Michelle im 29 and from NSW. After years of being on diets and weight loss programs that always failed, I am about to embark on my Duromine journey after a recommendation from my doctor.
I am a skeptical person and was hesitant to even try Duromine as everything else ive tried has failed, but im all for trying anything once and feel that this is my last resort to losing weight (apart from gastric band surgery which I do not qualify for as my BMI isnt high enough)

I am starting this journey at 140kgs (not the heaviest ive been but close to it) my doctor wants me to lose 40kgs in 6 months which im going to try my hardest to do.

I do have a question though... how do you avoid getting the saggy skin that comes with weight loss?? Do i need to start lifting weights etc at the gym??

I just hope this works as I am at a loss as to what else to try.

Hope to chat to some of you soon

Cheers, Michelle.

Hello Michelle!
The surgery should be the last solution imho. You can't completely avoid saggy skin if you lose great amount of weight. That is fact unfortunately. Although you can try to minimize the damage -> apply special cream or oil to the skin daily throughout your weight loss journey. And exercise of course. I don't know what exactly you CAN lift in the gym, you should consult a pro coach, at least consult, not necessarily to hire him. I hope you will find this new weight loss plan useful and I wish you to lose weight with as less side effects as possible!
Good luck!

Im tryin to use smaller portions and healthy food but i dont think this as a appetite suppressant is working for me :(

awww Biddy, I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE REMAINING POSITIVE about your health and portion control, that is a very good thing , :)... but really at a loss that the D is not helping you, :eek:.... Maybe Kate can suggest what you can do about this , or maybe see you doctor again ? keep trying YOU HAVE managed to lose 1 pound so far, and maybe you do not need D and you can carry on with portion control ,that would be gr8 right ?? it is still early days, when do you weigh yourself again Biddy ? have you measured yet ? you might be pleasantly surprised :laughing:... keep us posted , please do not give up girl !!! you can do this , really you can ;)...

Hi Biddy, most docs are a bit hesitant about giving the drug so its understandable that yours didn't put you on a higher dose. If you feel she'l listen to you, you could re approach her saying that you have done much research as you feel as though the drug isnt doing what it should and you suspect the dose isn't high enough, and could she please monitor you on the next dose up to see if that will make a difference. The stuffs not cheap and you would want to give yourself the best chance of getting the best results from the drug before you give up on it. Hopefully she will listen to you.

Hi, Biddy.
Well from what I've seen - you def need to increase the dose, or maybe if your doc still won't prescribe it to you, wait for at least a week till it finally works as it should. It happens that Duromine starts working (suppressing the appetite) much later in some people. I've seen this from ladies on the forum. Lack of sleep, that's an unfortunate, but all you can do is to make your day super busy, drink more water, exercise (let's be honest, at least 45 minute walk in the evening helps to get tired). Make yourself a proper diet (still we have no clue on yours): more protein (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef meat; eggs; beans; dairy), carbs for breakfast only (grain toast with jam; oats; fruit, nuts). Take a smaller plate and make even portions every day. 4-5 preferably, but 3-4 is enough to feel full and not gain extra weight. Let's start with that and then we'll think over something else. And please do not afraid this diet will make you gain weight. Dieting is not starving, just in case you didn't know it.

P.S. If the pills still won't work after a week...try to convince your doc to increase the dose. Make some records maybe, something like diet diary and show it to her so she could see that you did your best and still nothing. And you need 30mg. Wish you all the best!

Im leavin my scales at home for the next 2 weeks hopefully when i come back il be lighter lol so tired today prob to do witht the cold tho the doc wouldn let me start on higher dose tried all that, so im back to her in 2 weeks n hopefully get put on 30, thanks everyone for d advice

Hi again last night I no joke most of went to the toilet about 20 times in the space of 3 hours ny last glass of water was about 3 hours before that! Wud that be me loosing water weight?? I've took to tablets today n it's d first time I've not felt hungry

Reactions: Liabet
Hi biddy, not sure if your sore throat is a cold but in my experience with duromine I pretty much have a sore throat on a regular basis. I feel for me anyway that it has a lot to do with the dry mouth/throat side affect of the tablets. A lemon/lime sugar free lolly from DD sugar free lollies helps heaps.

So anyway i upped my dose to 2 a day and it worked better but tomorrow il b back down to 1, otherwise il run out before im home, startin weight was 87.5kg 2 weeks later i am 84.8 kg, does that sound ok, or should i have lost more .. I have not had a feelin a fullness when eating so im tryin to be carefull

Donna Frame said:
Hi Biddy, I'm having the same thing happen- up to day 5 of 30mg this morning- so far I have noticed no effect whatsoever- am still hungry, no sudden energy buzz(I'm waiting for it so I can clean my house lol) . I'm 165cm and 115kilos. I'm eating as though I am dieting but it's really hard because I'm still feeling hungry all the time.

Try eating more of the healty fats. Besides the health benefits, it will help you to feel more satisfied too!

The Skinny on Fat

You've shied away from eating it and worked on the treadmill to burn it off. But fat, it turns out, can be your friend. "Your body needs it in order to function," says Barbara Roberts, MD, director of the Women's Cardiac Center at the Miriam Hospital in Providence and author of How to Keep from Breaking Your Heart. "Fats help you absorb vitamins A, D, and E, and they are vital for your nervous system." Not only that, women who ate a Mediterranean diet filled with healthy monounsaturated fat lowered their risk of heart disease by 29 percent, according to a new study in Circulation.

Of your total daily calories, 25 to 30 percent should come from fat. The keys: Pick good-for-you fats, and limit the bad kinds. Don't know a saturated from a poly? Here's the skinny on which fats to eat and which to avoid.

The Good: Unsaturated Fats

Monounsaturated Fats

What they do: These fats, known as MUFAs, raise good HDL cholesterol, lower bad LDL cholesterol, and protect against the buildup of plaque in your arteries. They also help prevent belly fat, according to research.
Where you'll find them: In olive oil and olives, canola oil, almonds, cashews, peanuts, peanut butter, sesame seeds, and avocados.

How much you need: Most of the fat you eat should be unsaturated, like MUFAs. "Just two to three tablespoons of olive oil a day can raise HDL levels and protect against heart disease," says Dr. Roberts.

Polyunsaturated Fats

What they do: In addition to lowering your LDL, these fats contain essential omega-3 fatty acids -- which boost brain function and may help strengthen your immune system and improve your mood -- and omega-6 fatty acids, which in small amounts can keep skin and eyes healthy.
Where you'll find them: Omega-3s are primarily in fish like salmon, mackerel, and herring, as well as canola oil, flaxseed, walnuts, and tofu. Omega-6s are in corn and safflower oil, corn-fed chicken and beef, and farmed fish.

How much you need: Most of the polys you eat should be omega-3s. Too much omega-6 can lead to inflammation, which is linked to heart disease. Trade vegetable oil for olive and canola oils, and eat grass-fed beef and wild-caught fish.

Hi, CandyM,
I am an expat From SA ... all the best to you on your new journey , take one day at a time, it is going to be a huge mindshift change, but for the better.. "D" WILL CHALLENGE YOU on every possible level, not only with side effect but mentally and emotionally, as well as physically ,and it is so worth it, believe me, been on it for 7 weeks now, and highs and lows, for sure !!but the highs are what keeps you going, and when you have lows,well this forum picks you right back up ,shakes off the negativity, and gets you going again ..Remember we only a finger click away if you need to chat about ANYTHING,even if you think it is small and significant, ask away!! as here we all learn from each other every day ,and we learn much about ourselves on this journey too.. All the best for the 21st .....GO.. GO.. GOAL !!!;)

Hi there

I'm new to the drug - took my first pill this morning. I'm a little apprehensive about the side effects. I don't normally take drugs of any kind - not even Panadol. But my weight got to the stage where I was weary and beaten from constantly trying to lose weight and not succeeding. I actually gave up and decided to just accept how I was and that I would never be slim like I was in my 20s. I'm 48 and 5' 7" (170cms) and yesterday my doctor weighed me and I'm 107 kgs. I'm not really hopeful that they will work but my doctor gave the pills to me and said I had to be on them for at least 3 months, ideally 6 months. So I will try because he's expecting me to take them and wants a follow up with me in a few weeks.

Last edited: