My Duromine Diary

Breeebee

Standard Member
May 28, 2020
Hey! I'm not new to duromine. I used it roughly seven years ago when I was much thinner than I am now. I'm basically writing to share my experiences with side effects and hopefully weight loss.

I'm a mum of three who suffers severely with being lazy. After a hard day working and wrangling three kids under five I've gotta tell you, I really struggle to find the energy to cook healthy meals for myself as my kids wont typically eat what I eat so I'm forever cooking two or more meals.

Since the birth of my second child three-and-a-half years ago I've gained 35kgs. I quit smoking full time and let go of myself. I wont bore you with the rest, only that I'm due to get married in September and I really don't want to look back at my photos and be disgusted with myself.

So... My doctor prescribed a course of Duromine 30mg. Previously I only used the lower strength but as I said I was much thinner then and realistically probably didn't need it as I wasn't overweight at the time.
I'm ashamed to say it but as of today I weigh 98kgs at 160cm tall. My goal weight is 65kg which is what I used to weigh and can I say I LOVED MYSELF!

Now I will post a disclaimer that I'm currently breastfeeding. My daughter is 18 months old and is certainly not nursing as frequently as a newborn or younger infant. Mostly for comfort and at night. So maybe 4-6 times a day/night. I will stop if I notice any impacts from the meds on her but I have read that it is not recommended to breastfeed while taking duromine.

So here we go -

Day one: I took my Duromine at 7 am. The pharmacist recommended having it with a decent breakfast but for me in the morning a decent breakfast means drinking my coffee - warm - preferably uninterrupted (unlikely!) which is approx 76 calories for the sachet.
Initially no side effects. I felt fine until 10 am and I started feeling a little spacey. Nothing too serious. I kinda like the spacey feeling. Still feeling pretty hungry. I'm generally not a big eater during the day but will binge if given the chance. I might try and eat something small and see if it's had any impact there. It will be interesting to see if I can stop at just one or two pieces of toast or if my brain says eat the whole house. Interested to see also how I go sleeping tonight.

So far I've breastfed my daughter once around an hour and a half ago. She is yet to show any signs of the duromine so I'm hoping this continues.

April

Staff member
Staff member
Jan 13, 2017
Hello and WELCOME to the forum!!! Wish you a very successful weight loss journey!

I know how difficult it is to cook different meals for different "family populations" and I hope that with time they all will join you for healthier meals. :)) Did you make any eating plan so far? Or just thinking it over?
Btw, did the doctos give you ay checks before prescribing? I mean, the blood pressure and sugar? All good?
Fingers crossed for a calm night for both you and your daughter. Bit worried about breastfeeding :( Fingers crossed

Breeebee

Standard Member
May 28, 2020
Hello and WELCOME to the forum!!! Wish you a very successful weight loss journey!

I know how difficult it is to cook different meals for different "family populations" and I hope that with time they all will join you for healthier meals. :)) Did you make any eating plan so far? Or just thinking it over?
Btw, did the doctos give you ay checks before prescribing? I mean, the blood pressure and sugar? All good?
Fingers crossed for a calm night for both you and your daughter. Bit worried about breastfeeding :( Fingers crossed

Thank you so much! It was a difficult choice to take Duromine while breastfeeding but my little wont wean and my health is giving me a hard time. I have at least 10 kidney stones And the doctor believes some weight loss may help me pass them easier and I have also developed a condition called idiopathic intercranial hypertension. Essentially my weight gain has caused the spinal fluid to back up and puts pressure on my brain and eyes which causes me various neurological and vision problems. Weight loss doesn’t always cure this condition but I definitely want to try it before I try having lumbar punctures to release the pressure. Little miss was ok last night. A bit restless but she generally is overnight so I can’t tell if it’s Duromine related or not.

I felt fairly nauseated all of yesterday and didn’t end up eating anything. It was a weird sensation. Almost as if my brain was saying don’t eat and my tummy was saying don’t eat but it felt as if eating would maybe cure the nausea. My hubby ended up force feeding me some sticky date pudding for dessert.

It’s 6am of day two now. Sleep last night was rubbish. I don’t know if it was the Duromine or the fact that my brain kept thinking the Duromine would keep me up and so kept waking itself up. Either way, I didn’t fall asleep until 11:30 which in itself is abnormal for me (I’m ready to crash by 8:30!) and then I woke pretty much every half hour after that - either due to the baby tossing and turning or because I just did.

At the moment I have no real eating plan. I love fasting. I always have. When I was at my goal weight I did this with intermittent fasting. Back then I smoked fairly heavily and that pretty much suppressed my appetite to 0 which meant I could quite easily skip breakfast and lunch. My hope is that Duromine will suppress my appetite to help me get through the cravings of the day and stop me bingeing so that I can keep my calories low and essentially just eat a normal dinner.

Hope you have a good day. I’ll check in later with my diary for today. I’m hoping for the burst of energy that everyone talks about because after last night I definitely need it.

Reactions: April

Breeebee

Standard Member
May 28, 2020
Day 3 today!

Yesterday I took my tablet at 7am-ish. No burst of energy yet. A slight headache which was manageable with paracetamol. My hubby came home with McDonalds hot cakes for breakfast which I ate AND a McFlurry for dessert when he came home from dinner. The problem is my hubby is an enabler. It doesn’t matter how dedicated I am he will ALWAYS bring fast food home regardless of what health kick, diet or healthy eating plan I’m on and despite the fact I tell him in advance “DON’T BRING FASTFOOD HOME, I DON’T WANT ANY!!” I don’t have the willpower to say no when it’s in front of me nor do I particularly Iike wasting food. Learning to say no is going to be a huge challenge for me.

I didn’t eat during the day yesterday and decided to push myself to eat some dinner. I had cooked a low calorie spag bol a few weeks ago which I had totally forgotten about. My little boy asked for spaghetti for dinner and it jogged my memory. I really appreciated just being able to defrost it and serve it up with very little energy require and boy it tasted so good, better in fact than when I cooked it initially.
No food cravings again today except for in the morning before the Duromine had kicked in and a little after dinner as my meal was fairly small (the kids wanted seconds, so I shared my portion which was fairly small anyway.) I told myself I had eaten my dinner and would be ok to just drink some water which filled me up enough to stop the cravings. As I said before, hubby returned from his dinner with friends and brought me a McFlurry. It tasted pretty incredible.

Baby was pretty restless again last night, I’m still not certain it’s Duromine related. She’s showing no other signs and had a 2hr nap during the day and would have probably napped longer if I hadn’t woken her. She has always been a restless sleeper. In terms of my sleep it was pretty terrible again. Aside from the restless bub my brain just kept waking me up. What’s strange for me is I don’t really feel tired of a morning now, even though I’m not really sleeping.

Day 3: woke up this morning and had incredible pain from my kidney/ureteric stones. A reminder of why losing weight is so crucial I guess. I needed to take some pretty strong opiate pain killers, in addition to my Duromine and kidney meds so with that combination I’m fairly certain I won’t have much of an appetite anyway.

Normally I wouldn’t weigh myself 3 days into a diet but thought what the hell.

Starting weight: 98kgs (Bare weight)
Today’s weight: 94.9kgs (with light clothes on)
Loss of 3.1kg

Breeebee

Standard Member
May 28, 2020
Day four:

Last night I got some sleep. I had taken so much endone during the day for my kidney stones I was soo drugged out and exhausted by the end of the day. Sleep was so good. Even the baby slept, kinda. I’m definitely sure there is no impact on her with the Duromine which is a huge relief.

Took my tablet at around 7:15am today. No jump in energy, the “spaced out” feeling I got on days 1 and 2 is gone. I had on and off food cravings this morning and I worry that maybe the Duromine isn’t working. I see so many of these diaries and people seem to suffer severely with side effects. Maybe I’m lucky, but the voice inside my head is seriously questioning whether they’re doing anything.

I managed to drink more water today than I normally do, even still it’s really not enough. I maybe drink a glass during the day on a good day and maybe half a litre at night before bed which is the only time I really crave water. Drinking more water is a huge goal for me moving forward. I have a 2L bottle of water and from tomorrow onwards my goal is to drink the whole thing by the time I go to sleep.

Excitingly.... I MANAGED TO SAY NO TO FAST FOOD TODAY. First my partner got donuts from the petrol station before we went out for the day. I was totally uninterested. Then for lunch on the way back we got McDonald’s for the kids. It would have been so easy to order myself a meal but managed to say no. I did splurge and have a coke but I’m feeling really good that I didn’t eat all the calories. Come dinner time I was feeling tired and lazy - normally I would have said “oh well, takeout it is - I can’t be bothered” but tonight I got off my lazy butt and cooked not one but two meals. Chilli con carne for hubby and curried sausages for myself and the kids. Might not have been the healthiest meal but I’m so proud that I managed to put in the effort when I could have easily given in. Plus I was only able to manage a small portion size which is something I struggle with.

Off to bed now. Fingers crossed for sleep

April

Staff member
Staff member
Jan 13, 2017
Oh wow! That will power starts to take over cravings!!! You are doing great! Mindful eating and water drinking... I am sure you will do just fine
And the weight loss... 3.1 in the first three days?
You have so much to be proud of already :) Way to go!
Hope, you did manage to sleep well

April

Staff member
Staff member
Jan 13, 2017
Hi Bree, how do you feel? How's it going?