Just Started

Dani1488

Standard Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hey all!

I have been looking at forums online and decided that having somewhere online to go for talks, advice etc would be handy and I found this! So here goes..

I have been struggling with my weight since I was a teen, I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome which causes weight gain and makes it hard for me to lose weight.

2 and a half weeks ago I weighed in at 136kg, and at 26 I decided its time I got serious and made drastic changes. Started going to the gym, changed my eating. On Monday I seen a Dr and told him I wanted to go on duromine. He put me on 40mg and said that if it doesn't help over 3 months surgery is the next step. He wants to decrease my weight by at least 10% in the 3 months I will be on duromine. On the plus side I weighed in that day at 129kg!
My family are very concerned about side effects, but they know how much I need this for me. My boyfriend doesn't know I'm taking it (VERY anti drug whether prescription or not lol).
So far, day 3, no bad side effects, sleeping is a little erratic but due to being a shift worker it is anyway! Eating less, fuller faster, gyming it for a minimum of 50 mins a day and hoping to increase that tomorrow to 1.5hrs a day. Also cut out all soft drinks and replaced with 4-5L of water a day :)

So.. That's my story so far! Looking forward to meeting people and would love to hear success stories!

Kate

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 21, 2009
Hello Dani! Welcome :):):)

You are doing great already! 7 kg of loss within 2 weeks wow!
Determination is a good thing. Just make sure your diet contains enough proteins because you are going to increase your gym sessions up to 1.5hours. Just to make sure your body gets enough energy and does not lose muscles.

Good luck and tell us how it goes please! ;)

Reactions: Dani1488

Dani1488

Standard Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks Kate!
I definitely will make sure I am getting enough protein. I am considering looking for some vitamins just to make sure I am getting enough of what I need.

Fingers crossed this works as well for me as it has others. Ultimately, a 40kg loss would make me incredibly happy. Working hard toward that!

Smick

Premium Member
Jun 10, 2014
Pakenham, Victoria, Australia
Hi Dani
Sounds like your head is in the right place and you are doing all the right things. Half the battle with weight loss is mental.
You have begun very well. Keep it up. I'm glad you found us here. This is a great place to find support.
Keep blogging. I would love to follow your progress.

Reactions: Dani1488

Dani1488

Standard Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks Smick! I did my research properly before I made the decision to try it. I just want to be healthy.. I don't care about being skinny.. Just healthy so I can have a family and a little bit because I want to be able to shop anywhere for clothes lol.

Reactions: Smick

Smick

Premium Member
Jun 10, 2014
Pakenham, Victoria, Australia
Sounds like you are doing it for all of the right reasons.
My own weight loss started for similar reasons. I wanted to be healthy as we have a family history of Obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure. My younger sister is overweight, on blood pressure meds and is pre diabetic and looks unwell. My dad has all three too. My BMI had just hit the morbidly obese range and I knew if I kept going I would end up very unhealthy. I have an almost grown family and I wanted to start to look after myself.
Also I want to be able to buy all my clothes in the normal stores not the big girl shops. I feel younger than I dress and want to be able to show that.
I now add in that I also am enjoying being much more active and able to enjoy life much more completely. If I had known I would feel this good before, I may have started much earlier.
I still have a long way to go but I am now almost in the underweight range for my BMI and over half way to being in the normal weight range.
The mental part is a huge thing. If you have the right motivation and approach it well educated and with the correct mindset you will reach your goals. Make sure you have many small milestones along the way. You should celebrate every one.
If you use the D to develop good habits over the three months you will be well on the way. It helped me to avoid surgery. That is the reason I went to my GP in the first instance. I'm so glad I found the D.
Alos. Get yourself a movement tracker (Fitbit, Misfit, Pedometer etc) they are a big motivator and just help you increase your incidental movement throughout the day (every little bit helps). I have a Misfit, I like it because I can wear it swimming or in the shower and it also tracks my sleep (helpful on the D) and it looks good :p . I was surprised how little I actually moved at the beginning and over time have more than doubled, almost tripled! how much I move.

Dani1488

Standard Member
Nov 21, 2014
Just finished at the gym :) 30 minutes elliptical trainer then 35 on the bike! I'm sore but feeling great.. Going to extend it a little at a time, or just add in a second 1 hour session when I can so I get a rest in between.
I too have a family history of obesity, diabetes, high BP, heart disease and a few other less serious issues. Its scary. I had considered lap banding but just can't afford it which is why I didn't do it, plus my partner freaked out at the idea of having elective surgery lol.
One thing I need to stop doing is weighing myself daily though!! And instead take measurements.
I am on day 5 of no soft drink, the first 2 days I had terrible headaches, but I feel great now and not even tempted! Day 4 of D today!
Does anyone else do shift work? I am wondering how night shift effects taking it when you need to sleep in the day sometimes..