Is Burning/ Stinging Muscle Pain A Side-effect?

Ripley

Standard Member
Mar 28, 2015
When I first started taking D about a month ago the side-effects were all manageable such as dry mouth, difficulty getting to sleep, fidgeting and clenching my jaw more. In that time I've lost somewhere from 6 to 9 kgs which I'm very happy with. The first 2 weeks were on 30mg and after that has been 40mg. My muscles have been feeling a bit tense lately and I often have a bit of pain in my upper back and right wrist from work. This morning I woke up in agony, every muscle in my body painful and tight, head to toe. They are not exactly in cramp mode but very close to it. My upper back and both forearms and wrists feel like they're on fire and stinging. Being a Saturday there was only the primary care unit open and the Dr there thinks it's probably the Duramine so he's recommended I stop taking it for 3 to 4 days to see if it makes a difference. I sincerely hope this is not the cause of the pain as I would like to continue through the treatment course. I've heard of some people getting side-effects of headaches and chest pains, but has anyone else had this? I've been stressed lately due to my mother being diagnosed with breast cancer 2 and a half weeks ago so it's hard to say what the stress is doing to my body but I'm in so much pain right now. Thanks xx

Audrey3

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2013
I am sorry to hear that, it must be a very difficult time for you!:oops:
Have not heard about Duromine causing muscle cramps before but if the Dr think it may be that you should probably listen to him. Maybe try going off it for a few days and see if it improves. And then go back and if the cramps come back you know.
Personally I think it is probably the stress and it could also be that you do not get enough minerals - try using a good supplement as well.
All of the best, and congrats on the good loss!;)

Ripley

Standard Member
Mar 28, 2015
Thanks for your reply Audrey3. The test results found elevated levels of creatinine in my blood. This drug resource mentions elevated creatinine and muscle spasms and musculoskeletal pain as side effects of the D and my regular GP and the other Doc seem to think that it is a side effect too. I am going off the D and then back on again at a slightly lower dose as directed by both of them as well as blood tests to monitor my creatinine levels. Will keep you posted if it becomes clear what the cause was. My muscles are still pretty painful but not nearly as bad as Saturday.

Audrey3

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for your reply Audrey3. The test results found elevated levels of creatinine in my blood. This drug resource mentions elevated creatinine and muscle spasms and musculoskeletal pain as side effects of the D and my regular GP and the other Doc seem to think that it is a side effect too. I am going off the D and then back on again at a slightly lower dose as directed by both of them as well as blood tests to monitor my creatinine levels. Will keep you posted if it becomes clear what the cause was. My muscles are still pretty painful but not nearly as bad as Saturday.
Ah well at least we now know that Duromine can cause that! Just a shame it had to happen to you. Just don't give up please. I know it is difficult but it is worth it really. I am holding thumbs for you;);)

Reactions: Ripley
M

Mel22

How did you get a creatinine test? I am having very bad lower back pain that feels like its on fire. I'm worried that its my kidneys. This happened last time I was on duromine.

What was the outcome? Did you continue taking duromine?

Ripley

Standard Member
Mar 28, 2015
How did you get a creatinine test? I am having very bad lower back pain that feels like its on fire. I'm worried that its my kidneys. This happened last time I was on duromine.

What was the outcome? Did you continue taking duromine?
Hi Mel22,

Sorry to hear about your pain. I did continue taking the D and the Dr is still unsure as to whether the pain was a direct result of it but I'll tell you what happened anyway. When I had the initial pain it was a weekend so I couldn't get in to see my regular Doc. I went to a local 'primary care unity' which is a bit like an emergency room. The doc there was unsure so he ordered blood tests to see if there was any virus or inflamation (which there was none) and tested for creatinine levels which are a general indicator of muscle distress and inflammation. As I mentioned previously, this came back as a bit elevated. He seemed sure it was the D and instructed me to drink a lot more water and electrolyte drinks to flush the creatinine from my system.

I went to see my regular GP shortly thereafter when I'd been drinking a lot more water and I was still in pain but not as much over the following days. She said she hadn't seen this as a side effect before but that she wanted to test my creatinine again once I'd been drinking more. The second creatinine test, less than a week later, was back down within the normal range. She told me the D may well be the cause and it was up to me if I wanted to stop taking it or cut back to a dose every second day. I started taking it again every day and the pain started flaring again so I ended up cutting back to every 2 or 3 days depending on how I was feeling.

In retrospect I should have been more structured and recorded what I ended up taking each day and how much pain or symptoms I was having. The reasoning behind the pain is that the medication is increasing your muscle metabolism which in turn produces more creatinine, which builds up if you're not drinking enough water. I also spoke to a person with a history of substance abuse who told me that taking amphetimines (which this basically is) is commonly known to flare pre-existing pain. So if you already had the occasional twinge of pain in your back it may amplify this.

To answer your question about getting the blood test for creatinine, you should be able to ask your prescribing doctor for this but honestly, even if they find it to be high, your main options are to discontinue the medication, or cut it down to taking it every second day and just drink a lot more fluids like water and electrolyte drinks. Regardless of the cause of your pain, taking some sort of pain killer should be ok but of course don't take anything your normally wouldn't until talking to the doc and always take them with food to avoid stomach aches etc. Also topical creams like voltarin rubbing on the painful area and even having a massage or physio may help a little to cope. Heat or cold pack depending on what feels better.

As for kidney involvement, the only way to know is see the doc but the best thing you can do for them right now is drink a lot of water and probably pay attention to the colour of your urine. If it's different to usual, or if you don't need to urinate at all, mention this to your doc ASAP. Certainly if the whites of your eyes or skin started turning yellow you would need to see the doc more urgently.

Right now at this very moment, get yourself a nice big drink of water and put a heat or cold pack on the most painful areas. If you really suspect it's the Duromine causing all of this, discontinue use until talking to your doc. It is not usually the sort of medication you need to ween off slowly.

Let me know if any of this helps and how you go Mel :)

Best of luck, Ripley.

M

Mel22

Hi Mel22,

Sorry to hear about your pain. I did continue taking the D and the Dr is still unsure as to whether the pain was a direct result of it but I'll tell you what happened anyway. When I had the initial pain it was a weekend so I couldn't get in to see my regular Doc. I went to a local 'primary care unity' which is a bit like an emergency room. The doc there was unsure so he ordered blood tests to see if there was any virus or inflamation (which there was none) and tested for creatinine levels which are a general indicator of muscle distress and inflammation. As I mentioned previously, this came back as a bit elevated. He seemed sure it was the D and instructed me to drink a lot more water and electrolyte drinks to flush the creatinine from my system.

I went to see my regular GP shortly thereafter when I'd been drinking a lot more water and I was still in pain but not as much over the following days. She said she hadn't seen this as a side effect before but that she wanted to test my creatinine again once I'd been drinking more. The second creatinine test, less than a week later, was back down within the normal range. She told me the D may well be the cause and it was up to me if I wanted to stop taking it or cut back to a dose every second day. I started taking it again every day and the pain started flaring again so I ended up cutting back to every 2 or 3 days depending on how I was feeling.

In retrospect I should have been more structured and recorded what I ended up taking each day and how much pain or symptoms I was having. The reasoning behind the pain is that the medication is increasing your muscle metabolism which in turn produces more creatinine, which builds up if you're not drinking enough water. I also spoke to a person with a history of substance abuse who told me that taking amphetimines (which this basically is) is commonly known to flare pre-existing pain. So if you already had the occasional twinge of pain in your back it may amplify this.

To answer your question about getting the blood test for creatinine, you should be able to ask your prescribing doctor for this but honestly, even if they find it to be high, your main options are to discontinue the medication, or cut it down to taking it every second day and just drink a lot more fluids like water and electrolyte drinks. Regardless of the cause of your pain, taking some sort of pain killer should be ok but of course don't take anything your normally wouldn't until talking to the doc and always take them with food to avoid stomach aches etc. Also topical creams like voltarin rubbing on the painful area and even having a massage or physio may help a little to cope. Heat or cold pack depending on what feels better.

As for kidney involvement, the only way to know is see the doc but the best thing you can do for them right now is drink a lot of water and probably pay attention to the colour of your urine. If it's different to usual, or if you don't need to urinate at all, mention this to your doc ASAP. Certainly if the whites of your eyes or skin started turning yellow you would need to see the doc more urgently.

Right now at this very moment, get yourself a nice big drink of water and put a heat or cold pack on the most painful areas. If you really suspect it's the Duromine causing all of this, discontinue use until talking to your doc. It is not usually the sort of medication you need to ween off slowly.

Let me know if any of this helps and how you go Mel :)

Best of luck, Ripley.
Ripley, I cannot thank you enough for such an informative response.

First thing - SPOT ON. I have an existing back condition where I see an ongoing physio for. I have L4/L5 buldged discs. I feel the pain every day (I guess you can call it chronic pain), but it doesn't feel like this burning sensation until I take the duromine. Funnily enough, I was hospitalised the last time this happened to me. They didn't do a blood test, but they did do a urine test and found nothing. I was discharged shortly after. This was around 2 years ago when I was taking 40mg.

I am now on a lower dose of 30mg each morning. The pain is a little more manageable today. I have to admit -- even though I am drinking water, I am drinking nowhere near enough as I should be. My dry lips is a telltale sign. The taste in my mouth is foul too.

In terms of pain management, my pain threshold is pretty high. I recently had knee surgery and I didn't even take the meds after. I have been prescribed on Tramadol, Endone, Voltaren 50 (ongoing) - you name it. I could be a pharmacy from home! I should really consider taking the Voltaren 50, but again, always with food - and sometimes the meals I have on duromine might only be a tin of tuna and nowhere near as sufficient as it should be.

I will definitely start taking them every second day and monitor my pain accordingly. I'll also seek advice from my prescribing physician.

Thank you so much again.

dakotasmum

Standard Member
Sep 27, 2015
Wow i had the same thing a week aho. The pain was in my legs and arms like cramps but not. And tingles. Stopped for 4 days and started again and not as bad.