Duromine and Other Side Effects

Woah! 3 times in 6 weeks?! That's different!

I actually find that D actually regulates my periods in the same way it used to regulate when I was being very healthy (i.e.: eating very healthy/small portions/exercising very regularly).

Since being on D I don't get mood swings, my boobs don't hurt as much, only only get a few 'signals' my body needs a bit more fat in it...
My first period on D, about 2 days before I felt a tiny bit nauseous and craved cheese(usual for me, i don't have a sweet tooth). I succumbed and got a Macca's cheeseburger. All 230 calories and it was glorious! And afterwards I was full and felt sated. That was all. No period pains. Also, usually shorter periods.

This is something i've always suspected though, that the healthier I was across the board - the smaller my food intake - the less ALL of the period side effects were felt.

Not sure if it helps at all - Just sharing. If definitely "changes" my cycle's effects, but in a good way and not the cycle in itself.

I hope more people share about this topic - there are probably a lot of women out there who are experiencing monthly changes - this might be a nice forum for that.

Good luck!

Oh, ladies...
Periods are regulated by HORMONES, Duromine has nothing to do with that. It is weight loss that changes hormonal balance. That's all. Hence various menstrual irregularities.

P.S. Lolly, have you been on Duromine for 20 years?? I am right? Why? I would think twice before exposing my brain to such harm for so long, sorry :(

Kate said:
Oh, ladies...
Periods are regulated by HORMONES, Duromine has nothing to do with that. It is weight loss that changes hormonal balance. That's all. Hence various menstrual irregularities.

P.S. Lolly, have you been on Duromine for 20 years?? I am right? Why? I would think twice before exposing my brain to such harm for so long, sorry :(
The pill I've been on for 20 yrs that I'm referring to is the contraceptive pill. I've lost 6kg in the past two months on Duromine. Not a huge weight loss to trigger polymenhorrea I wouldn't have thought?

Reactions: Rosie C
Kate said:
Oh, ladies...

P:(.S. Lolly, have you been on Duromine for 20 years?? I am right? Why? I would think twice before exposing my brain to such harm for so long, sorry

Absolutely, Kate - Periods are absolutely regulated by hormones. But hormones are also effected by out food/sugar/fats intake.

People on Duromine usually have a higher intake of less healthy foods so when the appetite suppressant side of it kicks in and the diet cleans up tout de suite, it can have a very brisk effect on hormones/negative side effects of periods.

That said, I doubt it has much to do with what Lolly was saying.

Also, I think LollyTerror was saying she'd been on "the Pill' for 20 years and Duromine for only 2 months.

Reactions: LollyTerror
I recently finished my first box of Generic Duromine. I purchased the second box a non-Generic one as I had heard it has less side effects and also it is just $4 expensive than generic one.
In recent weeks of having generic D, I almost did not have any side effects and I was very happy with that ( i had serious side effects in first weeks though). However, after starting the non-generic one all those side effects came back! My GP says its because the non- generic one is more stronger than generic one and I will get used to it. I stoped taking it though after 2 days!
I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?

Hello, Seva. We missed you:)

Firstly - I personally did not take a generic one. But I do take some other generic drugs (painkillers) and original ones and sometimes I see the difference. But I've noticed it depends on many factors. Like your current state of the body, or food you eat. Maybe this time when you started the nongeneric one, you had some health issues you did not know of? Or your body just needs to get used to a new drug this time? You said that you had some side effects on generic one, so...Maybe the dose is too high for you.

Probably your doctor is right - the original Duromine might be stronger than the generic, because generic drugs contain lots of other excipients and so the effect may vary.

Reactions: Seva
Hi Kate,
Yes I guess, I need more time to get used to it. I'm starting it again tomorrow. I have noticed each time when start D after a week pause , some of its side effects disapear.
Cheers :)

Hi all just started D 30 mg and I find I am yawning alot, get hunger pains to the point of feeling ill (I am eating) and quite body fatigued, hoping this will pass? Anyone else had this? Thanks

Julestar said:
Hi all just started D 30 mg and I find I am yawning alot, get hunger pains to the point of feeling ill (I am eating) and quite body fatigued, hoping this will pass? Anyone else had this? Thanks
From what I have read on here the first few days are the worse. Then it gets better. A week or so. Your body need time to get used to the drugs. I found that drinking loads and loads of water helps for me. Hope you feel better soon;)

Reactions: Aus-iwi
Thanks do you find your hunger slowly reducing overtime?
Tania J said:
From what I have read on here the first few days are the worse. Then it gets better. A week or so. Your body need time to get used to the drugs. I found that drinking loads and loads of water helps for me. Hope you feel better soon;)

Im on day four and my blood pressure is up my pulse is 120 and im getting palpitations, my mother is ambo so shes checked me over but im worried im going to have to stop the duromine
:( has anyone else had this

Im on day 5 today and having problems with my blood pressure going up :(

Last edited:
Felix15 said:
Im on day 5 today and having problems with my blood pressure going up :(

Are you checking your blood pressure at home? I've had high BP due to pre-eclampsia in the past, zero symptoms of it being high. How high and what does your doctor suggest? Yes it's great to loose weight, but our health comes first.

Bringingskinnyback said:
Are you checking your blood pressure at home? I've had high BP due to pre-eclampsia in the past, zero symptoms of it being high. How high and what does your doctor suggest? Yes it's great to loose weight, but our health comes first.
Hey, my bp was normal before i went on to duromine doc said i could monitor it from home as i have access to bp monitor (family do ambo) have felt fine up to last night when i had some palpitations and noticed my pulse was fast mum checked my bp and it was up, was down this morning and then this arvo pulse increased again bp isnt as high as last night but still up for me, thought maybe i might skip a pill tomorrow and see what happens ?

Felix15 said:
Hey, my bp was normal before i went on to duromine doc said i could monitor it from home as i have access to bp monitor (family do ambo) have felt fine up to last night when i had some palpitations and noticed my pulse was fast mum checked my bp and it was up, was down this morning and then this arvo pulse increased again bp isnt as high as last night but still up for me, thought maybe i might skip a pill tomorrow and see what happens ?

Skipping a pill won't hurt if you want to try that. The increased pulse is pretty common, I would get that in the beginning even when resting. It would only last a few minutes. Any chance your anxiety is causing the increased blood pressure!

Bringingskinnyback said:
Skipping a pill won't hurt if you want to try that. The increased pulse is pretty common, I would get that in the beginning even when resting. It would only last a few minutes. Any chance your anxiety is causing the increased blood pressure!
Skipped pill today and i have to stop taking it, this evening is the best i have felt in days i thought the only side effect i was getting was dry mouth and i had started sleeping better at night, but today it feels like a rock has been lifted off my chest i think it had come on slowly over the days unfourtunatly not because of my anxiety :( it had pushed my bp way to high, it is going down now thank god but i gutted i have to stop taking duromine

Hello Everyone,

I am on day three of Duromine 30mg. So far has been good apart from the waking up at 1am and taking a while to get back to sleep.
Day three today and for some reason i feel a little tired? Is this OK?
Yesterday was super busy at work and i then rushed home to go and meet my parents for a celebratory meal, we went to a South African restaurant and me and my boyfriend shared a platter for two, it was loaded with chicken, steak sausages chips etc etc. I had two chips!! Piece of a chicken, small bit of steak and one small piece of sausage.
I then got home and went for a 30 minute walk. Then chilled out for a while before going to bed. I then woke up at 1am and couldn't get back to sleep for about an hour and a half then i was up at 5:45 for work again.
Is it normal to feel a but tired? I will still be going for my normal swim after work, it isnt like it is putting me off that, but can anyone shed some light for me?? :):)

Reactions: Unity
Hi Claire.

I also had that feeling of exhaustion the first few days, and was wondering what was wrong.. I felt lazy.
I don't know about others here, but I felt when I wake and don't get busy immediately I am doomed for the day...

Unity said:
Hi Claire.

I also had that feeling of exhaustion the first few days, and was wondering what was wrong.. I felt lazy.
I don't know about others here, but I felt when I wake and don't get busy immediately I am doomed for the day...

Hi Unity,

Thanks for the reply!! I was ok after work went for a swim and hen a walk but its like i hit the wall yesterday afternoon!! Plus i had a much better sleep last night still woke up at 1:30, but got back to sleep quicker than the previous night.

How long have you been taking them? :)

Morning Claire

I have been on them since 5 Oct 2015...
Some days feels longer lol..
Happy your body is adjusting