• Thread starter No more fat bum
  • Start date
IWantToBeHappy

IWantToBeHappy

Premium Member
Jan 3, 2016
Melbourne
Hi guys!
I started duromine 3 weeks ago and lost 4.7kg - eating clean and working out for an hour everyday! But I'm currently feeling extremely disheartened :( I have hit a plateau! I havent been able to get off 77kg for 2 weeks!
Anyone experience this?
Advice would be greatly appreciated!

I know you probably are going to not like what I about to say and you'll no doubt have an answer for it.

If at 77kg you are still considered over weight for you height and you dont have some under lying medical condition then there is really only one formular to follow.

Eat Less or Excercise More.

You say you are already working our for 1 hour every day, thats awesome, well done, so taking that into consideration, it's most probable you are consuming too many calories.

Relook at EVERYTHING you are consuming and if you are 100% honest with yourself, im positive you will find those pesky hiden calories you didn't know about. Make sure your bowels are working too.

I know its frustrating, but you can do it :)

Xx

T

Taylor

Standard Member
Feb 7, 2016
I'm 162 cm tall - the doctor advised a healthy weight for me is 49kg - 65kg and my goal is to get to 65kg! I'm a size 12 now and I use to be very small but I don't want to look that skinny ever again.

I use my fitness pal and track my calories everyday - I have a banana or a boiled egg for breakfast, a tin of tuna and a whole meal cracker for lunch and grilled chicken or fish with salad for dinner. That along with drinking nothing but water (around 3 litres a day) I am consuming well below the recommend amount :/

I have read that maybe I need to increase my calories as my body might have gone into starvation mode and trying to hold onto fat!

Hope it works!

IWantToBeHappy

IWantToBeHappy

Premium Member
Jan 3, 2016
Melbourne
I'm 162 cm tall - the doctor advised a healthy weight for me is 49kg - 65kg and my goal is to get to 65kg! I'm a size 12 now and I use to be very small but I don't want to look that skinny ever again.

I use my fitness pal and track my calories everyday - I have a banana or a boiled egg for breakfast, a tin of tuna and a whole meal cracker for lunch and grilled chicken or fish with salad for dinner. That along with drinking nothing but water (around 3 litres a day) I am consuming well below the recommend amount :/

I have read that maybe I need to increase my calories as my body might have gone into starvation mode and trying to hold onto fat!

Hope it works!
I'm 164cm and my goal is to get under 65kg asweĺl.

How many calories does your fitness pal say you are consuming each day?

You're certainly eating healthy food but it also apears to not be entirely balanced. What you've mentioned lacks fruit, carbs, dairy, fibre.

Perhaps try eating a little morning and afternoon snack eg apple, carrot, yogurt, almonds ????

Last edited:
T

Taylor

Standard Member
Feb 7, 2016
I eat around 600 calories a day sometimes under if I don't feel like adding salad dressing to my salads!
It's just so disappointing as when I first tried duromine I lost 9kg in a month - I have 5 more days left until it's a month and I have only lost 4.7kg

IWantToBeHappy

IWantToBeHappy

Premium Member
Jan 3, 2016
Melbourne
I eat around 600 calories a day sometimes under if I don't feel like adding salad dressing to my salads!
It's just so disappointing as when I first tried duromine I lost 9kg in a month - I have 5 more days left until it's a month and I have only lost 4.7kg
The more you have to loose the faster you will loose it . The average 77kg person who is NOT on Duromine would be jealous of you being able to loose 4.7kg in 1 month. I think you need to give yourself a break and see how well you've done!!!!!

T

Taylor

Standard Member
Feb 7, 2016
Update!
Greatly increase my calorie intake yesterday!
2 fried eggs and a banana for breakfast, big salad for lunch and roast lamb with vegetables for dinner and even had a naughty bowl of ice cream!
Weight myself this morning and lost 1kg! Craziness!
Seems I was eating to little :)

L

lacey

Standard Member
Apr 3, 2016
Update!
Greatly increase my calorie intake yesterday!
2 fried eggs and a banana for breakfast, big salad for lunch and roast lamb with vegetables for dinner and even had a naughty bowl of ice cream!
Weight myself this morning and lost 1kg! Craziness!
Seems I was eating to little :)

Duromine isnt meant to stop you from eating, it's meant to stop you from feeling hungry so you dont eat bad food and give into temptation. You need to eat so that your body can burn fat. Calories = calories out. might a I suggest a keto diet? A diet high in good fats and protein and low in carbs. look it up. the average person needs about 1200-1600 calories to survive plus extra if you're exercising. Don't starve yourself.

laura kate

laura kate

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2015
Adelaide
Just push through! Also if your hitting the gym hard you may be gaining muscle and also loosing fat resulting in no change on the scales.

I found that when my weightloss haulted i tried cutting all carbs out for 2 weeks to kick start it. Definitely helped. Good luck!!!

skinnymee

skinnymee

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2018
Sydney
busting-trough-the-dreaderd-plateau.jpg

If I had my time over again I would have made smaller mini goals so I could have more achievements to celebrate along the way. I, quite honestly, didn't expect it to take this long. I might do that for the next 11 kgs seeing as it's quite possible it could take me up until Christmas to reach my goal weight.

One thing I have noticed on this journey is that, when you lose weight, your body fights back. You may be able to lose quite a lot of weight at first, without much effort. But the weight loss seems to slow down, and sometimes, stop altogether for a while. So I looked into it and discovered some tips on how to break through the plateau and get things moving again.

It is incredibly common for the scale not to budge for a few days (or weeks) at a time. This does not necessarily mean that you aren't losing fat. Body weight tends to fluctuate by a few kgs. It depends on the foods we are eating, and hormones can also have a major effect on how much water our body holds on to. Also, it is possible to gain muscle at the same time as you lose fat. This is particularly common if you just recently started exercising (true for many on this forum). This is actually a good thing because what we really want to lose is body fat, not just weight. Unless your weight has been stuck at the same point for at least 1-2 weeks, then you might want to consider Skinnymee's top ten tips to get you back on track:

1. Are you eating enough protein?
Protein is the single most important nutrient for losing weight. Eating protein at 25-30% of calories can boost metabolism by 80-100 calories per day and make you automatically eat several hundred fewer calories per day. It can also drastically reduce cravings and desire for snacking. If you eat breakfast, then this is the most important meal to load up on the protein to sustain you throughout the day.

2 Are you eating whole foods?
Food quality is just as important as quantity. Eating healthy food can improve your health and help regulate your appetite. These foods tend to be much more filling than their processed counterparts. Keep in mind that many processed foods labeled as "health foods" usually aren't really that healthy. Stick to whole, single-ingredient foods as much as possible. If it grows, it's good to go.

3. Are you lifting weights?
One of the most important things we can do when losing weight is to do some form of resistance training, like lifting weights. This can help us hold on to your precious muscle mass, which is often burned along with body fat if we are not exercising. Lifting weights can also help prevent metabolic slowdown, and make sure that what is beneath the fat looks good. We don't want to lose a bunch of weight just to look "skinny-fat" underneath. If you don't own a kettlebell, pick up a toddler a dozen or so times a couple of times a day - that totally counts!

4. Are you drinking sugar?
Sugary beverages are the most fattening items in the food supply. Our brains don't compensate for the calories in them by making us eat less of other foods. This isn't only true of soft drinks like Coke and Pepsi; it also applies to "healthier" beverages like Vitaminwater and fruit juices - which are also loaded with sugar. When you consume sugar, your body releases insulin. The most significant factor in fat storage is the level of insulin in the blood. Insulin has many effects on the body. With respect to fat storage, insulin increases the storage of fat in fat cells and prevents fat cells from releasing fat for energy. This is such a key point for people to understand that I’ll repeat it: Insulin increases the storage of fat in fat cells and prevents the cells from releasing it for energy.

5. Are you getting enough sleep?
Good sleep is one of the most important things to consider for your physical and mental health, as well as your weight. Studies show that poor sleep is one of the single biggest risk factors for obesity. Adults and children with poor sleep have a 55% and 89% greater risk of becoming obese, respectively. If Duromine is keeping you awake into the wee hours, consider investing in some Epsom salts and including a magnesium bath into your nightly routine. Aromatherapy, reducing screen time (including TV) and dimming the lights right down low are also great ways to prepare your body for a good nights sleep. If these suggestions don't work for you, consider setting an extra alarm for 4am and taking your tablet then, or even taking it every other day.

6. Are you drinking enough water?
We all know that drinking water can have huge benefits for weight loss. In one 12-week weight loss study, people who drank half a litre of water 30 minutes before meals lost 44% more weight. Soooo a couple of glasses while you're preparing the kids meals should set you up nicely to be one of those amazing statistics!

7. Are you eating mindfully?
A technique called mindful eating may be one of the world's most powerful weight loss tools - especially for those of us who are emotional eaters. It involves slowing down, eating without distraction, savoring and enjoying each bite, while listening for the natural signals that tell your brain when it has had enough. Numerous studies have shown that mindful eating can cause significant weight loss and reduce the frequency of binge eating. Here are some tips to eat more mindfully:
  1. Eat with zero distractions, just you and your food — sitting down at a table.
  2. Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly. Try to be aware of the colours, smells, flavors and textures.
  3. When you feel the satiety signals kick in, drink some water or brush their teeth and stop eating.
8. Have you been starving yourself for too long?
It may not be a good idea to "diet" for too long. If you've been losing weight for many months and you've hit a plateau, then perhaps you just need to take a break. Up your calorie intake by a few hundred calories per day, sleep more and lift some weights with the goal of getting stronger and gaining a bit of muscle. Aim to maintain your body fat levels for 1-2 months before you start trying to lose again.

9. Are your expectations really that realistic?
Weight loss is generally a much slower process than most people want. Even with Duromine we often have unrealistic expectations of what is achievable with a healthy diet and exercise. The truth is, not everyone can look like an insta fitness model - not even the insta fitness models! The photos we see in magazines and other places are often enhanced using Photoshop - literally, no one actually looks like this.

If you have already lost some weight and you feel good about yourself, but the scale doesn't seem to want to budge any further, then perhaps you could start working on accepting your body the way it is. At some point, your weight is going to reach a healthy set point where your body feels comfortable. Any progress you can make toward accepting yourself as you are - fat, skinny or otherwise - can only be a good thing.

10. Are you obsessed with dieting?
"Diets" almost never work in the long term. If anything, studies actually show that people who "diet" gain more weight over time. Instead of approaching this from a dieting mindset, make it your primary goal to become a happier, healthier and fitter person. Focus on nourishing your body instead of depriving it, and let weight loss follow as a natural side effect.

While we dream of miraculous overnight transformations and buy millions of dollars of shakes and supplements that promise we can eat whatever we want and still lose weight. There are NO shortcuts when it comes to losing weight; at least if you want to be one of those who loses weight and KEEPS it off! When we lose weight slowly, ideally at a rate that averages 1kg a week, we can be sure we are changing our lifestyle and is losing fat rather than muscle or water weight.

Give it time. Be kind to you. Don't be in too much of a rush and trust that real change brings real results...over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EllieBellie

Standard Member
Aug 26, 2020
Please take this post with a pinch of salt. My experience may not provide the same results for you.

But it keeps happening, so.

Plateaus are frustrating and discouraging and google can’t really offer much good advice. “Eat less” (I can’t go any lower for health reasons) “exercise more” (no) or “change what you eat” (okay fine, that’s actually pretty good advice, but I don’t like change).

I tried calorie cycling once - eating more for a little while to ‘reset’ my metabolism/stop my body thinking I was starving it. 1.5 weeks of eating 300 more calories a day and my weight bounced, requiring months to get back down again.

Then I tried fondue. And cake.

Seriously. Last time I hit a plateau for three weeks I changed nothing about my diet except I treated myself to a fondue. 65g of wicked chocolate sauce, half a green banana, a quarter of a strawberry punnet (sizing due to being full, I actually prepared double the amount). Next day? .5kg loss. Coincidence? Probably.

Two more weeks of staying exactly where I was, daily exercise the same, I had a cake in a cup + chocolate chips (about 600 calories, 58g carb, most of that the worst type of sugars).

Next day? 1kg loss. Also coincidence? Probably. Also possibly my body is trying to trick me into consuming more high-sugar foods so it can start storing fat again. Clever girl.

Dre

Dre

Staff member
Premium Member
The Slayers Team
May 10, 2015
melbourne
Please take this post with a pinch of salt. My experience may not provide the same results for you.

But it keeps happening, so.

Plateaus are frustrating and discouraging and google can’t really offer much good advice. “Eat less” (I can’t go any lower for health reasons) “exercise more” (no) or “change what you eat” (okay fine, that’s actually pretty good advice, but I don’t like change).

I tried calorie cycling once - eating more for a little while to ‘reset’ my metabolism/stop my body thinking I was starving it. 1.5 weeks of eating 300 more calories a day and my weight bounced, requiring months to get back down again.

Then I tried fondue. And cake.

Seriously. Last time I hit a plateau for three weeks I changed nothing about my diet except I treated myself to a fondue. 65g of wicked chocolate sauce, half a green banana, a quarter of a strawberry punnet (sizing due to being full, I actually prepared double the amount). Next day? .5kg loss. Coincidence? Probably.

Two more weeks of staying exactly where I was, daily exercise the same, I had a cake in a cup + chocolate chips (about 600 calories, 58g carb, most of that the worst type of sugars).

Next day? 1kg loss. Also coincidence? Probably. Also possibly my body is trying to trick me into consuming more high-sugar foods so it can start storing fat again. Clever girl.
well well.. Hello EllieBellie
i've been following you on here for the last month or so and thought it might be time i introduced myself :p
my name is Dre and i absolutely love your posts!
i have been a member of this wonderful forum for ages and you are a breath of fresh air my darling..

what you are going through is completely normal, weight loss is so hard isn't it?
keep the faith, stay strong and remember that you are among friends here :)

if you need help or advice the lovely 'April' is never far away, and i am always around too!
i have experience with all 3 strengths of duromine so feel free to ask me anything you want x

oh and i should mention that i run a team called "The Slayers"
we protect the forum from scammers (Vampires) so if you ever see anything that looks out of place please let me know..

Hugs
Dre