• ā˜ļøA newly developed meal plan for people taking Duromine is available nowā—ļø With a proper diet, you can lose TWICE as much weight šŸ“‰!

OFF Duromine

Rava said:
Wow! @Vikki - firstly congrats on your over 20kg loss - that is amazing!

How long were you on Duromine for and what strength?

In regards to your questions, I have a couple of thoughts:
  • The first was how close is your cycle?
It could be water weight. The week leading up to menstruation is the time that a lot of us start to feel bloated and uncomfortable, the extra water starts hanging out between our tissue and cells as our bodies prepare to menstruate..
  • How much sodium are you consuming?
The more saltier or higher sodium content in our food, the more our bodies retain water to keep our sodium blood levels at a healthier level. The sodium actually attaches itself to the water in our bodies and it can be anywhere up to 5 days, for your body to flush the sodium and return to a normal balance.

If you are using any type of protein shake - just have a look at the sodium content.
  • The recommended dietary guidelines for Americans are no more than 1 teaspoon (2,300mg) of salt per day.
  • Australia puts the guideline at 460ā€“920mg which is no more than 2.3 grams of salt per day. (less than half a teaspoon)
  • Have you started any new type of exercise that you haven't done before?
Sometimes when we start out with the something new, the muscles we aren't used to using give us aches and pains which is actually inflammation, again causing our body to retain water.
  • If your calorie intake is the same - have you introduced any new foods?
It might be worth checking with your food tracker to see if there is an increase in carbs, sugars or salts.

I hope these might give you some idea, and would love to hear your thoughts back

x
Thanks, Rava!
I haven't changed anything. My food intake is the same and my exercise routine is the same. I wondered if it was just my body adjusting. I still have quite a few kilos to go, so don't want to make my job any harder by putting weight on. I was on Duromine 30g from late June until October last week. I didn't have one week where I plateaued so consider myself very lucky. Unfortunately, my doctor won't let me have any more Duromine until I've had a break. He has recommended I go on the 5:2 diet in between, but I've been just eating the same as I was on the Duromine. Could I not be eating enough? I track every mouthful and probably only consuming between 400-600 calories a day.

Reactions: Rava
TashaNova said:
Congratulations Vicki. I myself found that when I first went off duromine the same thing happened. I didnā€™t put all the weight back on but over a year about 4kg. I realised that to lose those last few kilos on I was not eating much at all which wasnā€™t really sustainable off the duromine as I was hungrier! I also think duromine speeds up your metabolism somewhat and when you first come off it the reverse can happen - fatigue , slow sluggish metabolism. I found myself recently back on it to lose those last few annoying kilos but essentially we have to ween ourselves off it and do it naturally.
Ravaā€™s suggestions are all worth taking note of.
Iā€™ve noticed that this time on duromine I am having issues with breathlessness for the 3 months Iā€™ve been on it. So like you Iā€™m going to have to stop and try very hard to maintain my weight. Once youā€™ve maintained it for a year your body will not put it back on unless you consistently binge.
Years ago I was 111kg I am now 69.5
I have not been above 75 in years as I maintained that weight for a long time
Best of luck
Hi TashaNova,
I think you're right, the Duromine does increase your metabolism. As I said to Rava, I haven't changed my food or exercise regime so it could be that. Thankfully I didn't have any issues whilst on it. My goal is 58kg and I still have to get to that, but I'm so pleased to hear you have been able to maintain your weight for so long. That's really inspiring!

Vikki said:
Thanks, Rava!
I haven't changed anything. My food intake is the same and my exercise routine is the same. I wondered if it was just my body adjusting. I still have quite a few kilos to go, so don't want to make my job any harder by putting weight on. I was on Duromine 30g from late June until October last week. I didn't have one week where I plateaued so consider myself very lucky. Unfortunately, my doctor won't let me have any more Duromine until I've had a break. He has recommended I go on the 5:2 diet in between, but I've been just eating the same as I was on the Duromine. Could I not be eating enough? I track every mouthful and probably only consuming between 400-600 calories a day.

@Vikki - your welcome :)

400 - 600 calories is really really low!!! Have you had any type of bariatric surgery prior? Even so, people who have had weight loss surgery are recommended to eat at least 800 calories per day.

1200 calories per day is the recommended goal for women wanting to lose weight. Obviously we are all different, and some will drop this lower to get a good response from the body.

IMO. I think your body is now trying to hold on to everything, because its not getting the full amount of nutrition it needs.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to function normally - ie: blood flow etc.. and if its not getting them, sooner or later for lack of a better word it will start "hoarding" everything you put into it, as it perceives you going through a famine.

It's time to trick your body - up those calories for a couple of days and see what happens :)

If you aren't already I also highly recommend tracking your food intake with either My Fitness Pal or Lose It. Both have free options allowing you to see what you are eating calorie wise as well as breaking down your carbs, sugars, proteins, salts and fats.

Rava said:
@Vikki - your welcome :)

400 - 600 calories is really really low!!! Have you had any type of bariatric surgery prior? Even so, people who have had weight loss surgery are recommended to eat at least 800 calories per day.

1200 calories per day is the recommended goal for women wanting to lose weight. Obviously, we are all different, and some will drop this lower to get a good response from the body.

IMO. I think your body is now trying to hold on to everything because it's not getting the full amount of nutrition it needs.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to function normally - ie: blood flow etc.. and if it's not getting them, sooner or later for lack of a better word it will start "hoarding" everything you put into it, as it perceives you going through a famine.

It's time to trick your body - up those calories for a couple of days and see what happens :)

If you aren't already I also highly recommend tracking your food intake with either My Fitness Pal or Lose It. Both have free options allowing you to see what you are eating calorie wise as well as breaking down your carbs, sugars, proteins, salts and fats.

No, I haven't had any bariatric surgery, just a lot of willpower:). Funnily enough, I haven't been hungry. I'll up the calories (fearfully) and see what happens. I've used Calorie King for a couple of years now, so I know exactly how much I'm consuming and using up when exercising. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow just to see what they say to do. I want to reach 58kg and was going along fine until the Duromine ran out.

Vikki said:
No, I haven't had any bariatric surgery, just a lot of willpower:). Funnily enough, I haven't been hungry. I'll up the calories (fearfully) and see what happens. I've used Calorie King for a couple of years now, so I know exactly how much I'm consuming and using up when exercising. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow just to see what they say to do. I want to reach 58kg and was going along fine until the Duromine ran out.

Geez willpower to the extreme! I really don't know how you have done it :)

Honestly in regards to upping the calories, I think it is a smart thing to do. There is no harm in it at all, and if the body responds by thinking "now I'm ok" then you know its all good.

Would love to know what your Dr says, so I hope you will post back @Vikki

Reactions: Louise Kaye
Rava said:
Geez willpower to the extreme! I really don't know how you have done it :)

Honestly in regards to upping the calories, I think it is a smart thing to do. There is no harm in it at all, and if the body responds by thinking "now I'm ok" then you know its all good.

Would love to know what your Dr says, so I hope you will post back @Vikki
Hi Rava!
The Dr as predicted, wouldn't give me any more Duromine or anything else for that matter. She did say that some obesity clinics do use a different type of drug but said I wasn't big enough now to go there. She also said that she didn't think that I needed to lose that much more weight only 2kgs instead of the 8kgs I want to lose. Do not to get hooked on the number is what she said-too late :)! The Dr did want me to have a blood test to check that my thyroid was functioning properly though. She found it hard to understand that I could eat that many calories and exercise every day and put ON weight! I had a thyroid test a few years ago and it came back that I was fine, however, there is no harm to check everything (iron, sugars, cholesterol etc) including my thyroid. Until I get my results back I will eat a little more and see what happens.
Thank you for your support.

@Vikki - you know what your Dr sounds pretty good :). I like the fact that she just wants to cover all bases and check your thyroid etc.. In some of the threads I have read, a lot of GP's sound as though they couldn't give two hoots about the person - so at least you can be reassured she is looking out for you!

I wanted to ask if you had checked your measurements? I have found in the past, on the weeks I wasn't losing what I wanted, my measurements were still creeping down, so my body shape was changing shape even though I didn't get the result on the scales.

I cant wait to see how you go :)

Rava said:
@Vikki - you know what your Dr sounds pretty good :). I like the fact that she just wants to cover all bases and check your thyroid etc.. In some of the threads I have read, a lot of GP's sound as though they couldn't give two hoots about the person - so at least you can be reassured she is looking out for you!

I wanted to ask if you had checked your measurements? I have found in the past, on the weeks I wasn't losing what I wanted, my measurements were still creeping down, so my body shape was changing shape even though I didn't get the result on the scales.

I cant wait to see how you go :)
Hi Rava,
Taking my measurements is a good idea. I do appear thinner even though I didn't lose a significant amount of weight last week, so I'll write them down tonight and check them next week.

Thanks for your help,
Vikki

@Vikki glad I could help :)

Would love for you to check back in and let me know re - the measurements as well as how you go upping you calories *hugs*

How does everyone manage when they are coming up to there last month of taking it? Iā€™ve heard people start to take it Day on day off... At the moment I feel Iā€™ve been able to rely on deromine not only for the weight lost but to help with energy and being able to get a lot more done that I know I wouldnā€™t of been able to do with out it.. Iā€™m trying to take it Day on day off and Iā€™m noticing the difference. Thoughts?

Reactions: Saxarochek
KLB said:
How does everyone manage when they are coming up to there last month of taking it? Iā€™ve heard people start to take it Day on day off... At the moment I feel Iā€™ve been able to rely on deromine not only for the weight lost but to help with energy and being able to get a lot more done that I know I wouldnā€™t of been able to do with out it.. Iā€™m trying to take it Day on day off and Iā€™m noticing the difference. Thoughts?
I feel same as you with weight loss and energy which is great.

Yah it gets to that point that's why docs don't recommend this. As it can get kind of addiction. The main point of duromine is to control that eating and when you get off you have that habit. Well for me it's easier said than done..As I am struggling too... :confounded:

Reverie said:
Yah it gets to that point that's why docs don't recommend this. As it can get kind of addiction. The main point of duromine is to control that eating and when you get off you have that habit. Well for me it's easier said than done..As I am struggling too... :confounded:
I find Iā€™m coping ok with the eating. Only time it gets hard is... When it comes to a certain time of the month I tend to binge eat or crave things I shouldnā€™t. Its this little process which has taking me a while to learn with body leading up to my monthly lol but anyway first month of taking Duromine it worked amazing around that time of the month. 2nd month of Duromine I had to have a bit of will power. But Iā€™m looking into healthy alternatives for when it comes to the cravings and stuff.... suppose as you said I have to remember Duromine is for food control having energy is just a bonus. Guess Iā€™ll have to get use to not being able to juggle everything around as good as I have been...

Is there any products or natural stuff you can take to help with energy after your prescription is done? Or does anyone struggle with the energy after the 3 months or so is over?

KLB said:
with the eating or the energy or both? Lol
Both eating and energy.. more eating. Even if I miss duromine on weekdays, I start binge eating coz I have missed all the food I used to eat. With energy, I will just need good night sleep and I should be ok

Reverie said:
Both eating and energy.. more eating. Even if I miss duromine on weekdays, I start binge eating coz I have missed all the food I used to eat. With energy, I will just need good night sleep and I should be ok
oh yip well for me with eating guess its will power I do feel more likely to want to eat bad things around a certain time of the month. But for me Iā€™m all about saving money and being wise with money and for me I would hate to have spent a good $440 to lose weight just to be fat again lol not sure if that will help you... also have to have a really good WHY.. like why did you decide to spend all that money, stop eating things, working out etc in the first place... For me my WHY was myself lol was sick of having low self esteem and being asked if I was pregnant lol:weary_face: and replying with no just fat lol and also wanted to be a fitter mum for my kids.... so next time you see that bag of cookies or whatever it is you want to eat remember your WHY... lol hope that helps. And if thatā€™s a recent photo of you in your DP you look good anyway ;)

Ive only been given 1 month? May I ask how long you have been taking it for? @KLB