• ☝️Pass a short test for FREE to learn your BMI, how many calories to consume per day to lose or maintain your weight, and how much you can lose by following a proper and balanced diet for two weeks. 📉

Low carb / Nutrition

Alice

Alice

Premium Member
Aug 16, 2015
Grocery List / My Shopping Routine / Cooking meals

Hi guys! :)

My name is Alice and I came from another service dedicated to healthy meals and weight loss. I find this forum very informative, so I decided to ask you, people, to guide me on your shopping routine, grocery list, and cooking meals.

I know we're all different, therefore it would be great to find out which one of you and how often go shopping for groceries, what products you use and how many times a week/day you cook your meals. I am sure this topic will be interesting and useful not only for me but for you as well.

To start with, I suggest you answer some basic questions:

1. How often do you go grocery shopping during the month?

2. How many products are you comfortable buying at once?

3. Do you like cooking daily to achieve the desired result, or would you prefer to cook every 2-3 days?

You are welcome to add your questions/answers or related topics here. Let's share our experience!

I guess I would be the first one to start)

1. We used to go shopping once a month, now it's more like once in two weeks (because of a different job of my hubby, takes us longer to get to the store).
2. We usually take chicken and turkey for two weeks (I separate them into portions and put them away to freezer), veggies like potatoes, tomato, cabbage, broccoli, some iceberg, parsley, onions, carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, garlic, about 10-12 cans of different beans (chickpeas, lentils also), 3-6 small cans of tuna, 1-2 liters of vegetable broth, 2-3 dozens of eggs (great source of protein when we don't wanna meat). Overall we try to buy everything for at least 2 weeks, as it helps to save a little bit, but better to do it once a month.
3. We both work, so lot of the time the canned beans, tuna and eggs save us in the evenings)) But when I'm free, mostly on the weekends I cook for two days, something like mushroom or veggie cream-soup, vegetable stew (whatever veggies are in the fridge that week) because it's good both cold and hot, some turkey/chicken meatballs, or some tomato/tuna pasta sauce (very handy to separate to portions and freeze). During the week we eat either that, or my hubby makes easy scrambled eggs with vegetables, or I make a greens salad for dinner.

• Love
Reactions: Alice and StacyB
Hi all, I'm gladly adding my groceries list as it is usually recorded in my phone app) Yeah, I'm a perfectionist lol. So here’s my list for a month:

Vegetables & fruit:

spinach, celery, scallions, tomatoes, parsley, broccoli, onions, cucumber, asparagus, garlic, bell peppers, champignons (or any other fresh mushroom), zucchini, lettuce (or iceberg), red cabbage, greens salad mix, frozen vegetable mix, pickles, tomato sauce, apples, pears, avocado, mango, raisins, orange and lemon juice.

Meat:

chicken breast, turkey breast, lean beef (for the meatballs). Canned tuna (1-3 cans as usually we have some at home), beans, chickpeas, lentils (I cook delicious veggie cream soup).

Eggs (two dozen at least), butter, mozzarella, cream cheese (for breakfast), creme fraiche, cheddar. Sometimes we also get balsamic vinegar, olive oil, coconut oil, salt, pepper, various spices (oregano, marjoram, turmeric, crushed red pepper flakes, etc.) when we are out of them.

No panic) We take small amounts of each, so that we get everything we need, but not too much.

1. Once a month
2. just answered.
3. we like cooking daily. Mostly fresh salads, pasta, grilled veggies and meat, or some meat leftovers from weekend's dinner (frozen and then mixed with pasta or cous cous).

Good day everybody! Would love to have some new and easy recipes from you.

Hi!
Here's my two cents: I agree with Edelweiss, we also like to buy food for at least a month. Thankfully we have local ALDI nearby and it takes us with my sweetheart not much time. But we like to buy everything except fresh veggies, because we found an incredible small farm and get delicious and freshest greens, vegetables and fruit from them.
1. We go shopping 1 per month or so.
2. A month's supply for two.
3. We enjoy cooking every evening.

• Love
Reactions: Alice
Hi!
I also decided to answer questions to assess my eating habits.
1. I usually go grocery shopping a couple of times a week. I used to shop once a month, but it's hard for me to keep groceries when they're in the same house as me. Therefore, I buy only what I need to eat and only then buy other products. Maybe I will learn not to eat all the food at once, but I need more time for this.
2. Only the necessary - always in different ways.
3. Since I'm busy with work and going to the gym, I can't afford to cook every day, at least until I get used to my new routine.

I see what I need to work on, I will try to become better!

• Love
Reactions: Alice
Thank you lovelies! :heart:
Your experience is very important to me.

Reactions: Dre and Chhow
Hello Alice

your doing a wonderful job here lovely :)
our members have needed something like this for a long time!

the Forum is a much better place for having you around x

Hugs
Dre

Reactions: Chhow and StacyB
To answer your questions, I usually go grocery shopping twice a week to make sure I have fresh produce for my meals. I'm comfortable buying around 10-15 products at once, depending on the size of my grocery bag. As for cooking, I prefer to cook every 2-3 days to save time and energy. Walking to the grocery store is my preferred mode of transportation because it doubles as exercise.
Still, I think my efforts aren't enough to achieve my body weight goal. I'm considering trying a Medical Weight Loss plan for myself. Has anyone tried it before?

Last edited:
Alice said:
Grocery List / My Shopping Routine / Cooking meals

Hi guys! :)

My name is Alice and I came from another service dedicated to healthy meals and weight loss. I find this forum very informative, so I decided to ask you, people, to guide me on your shopping routine, grocery list, and cooking meals.

I know we're all different, therefore it would be great to find out which one of you and how often go shopping for groceries, what products you use and how many times a week/day you cook your meals. I am sure this topic will be interesting and useful not only for me but for you as well.

To start with, I suggest you answer some basic questions:

1. How often do you go grocery shopping during the month?

2. How many products are you comfortable buying at once?

3. Do you like cooking daily to achieve the desired result, or would you prefer to cook every 2-3 days?

You are welcome to add your questions/answers or related topics here. Let's share our experience!
We do a major shop every two weeks (coinciding with my husband's payday). We live in the country and hubby works in the city (Canberra, Australia) three days per week and from home on the other two days.

So, he works in town on Fridays and gives himself an "early mark" every second Friday so we can shop. I generally pick him up anywhere between 2.30 pm and 3.30 pm, depending on what meetings he has to attend.

Our shop includes thirty kilos (66 pounds) of fresh chicken mince for our two Rottweilers, and a swag of stuff from Costco. I also do a quick shop in Coles (one of Australia's two big supermarket chains) as Costco have a limited range. They have a great range of Australian made sugar free cake mixes, low carb pizzas and other diet musts. Costco doesn't seem to realise that it's possible to live without 30% sugar in everything.

We do "top up" shops on weekends (at Woolworths, our other big supermarket chain - they have a store in our town of 6,600 people) and as needed during the week, usually for fresh fruit and vegetables, but also for our occasional hungry whims. I just text hubby if he's in Canberra with "please bring home a fresh lettuce and three avocadoes" or similar.

I cook as little as possible! During winter - ours is very cold by Australian standards, with frost every night and occasional snow - I cook huge casseroles and similar, and convert them to curries or pies when we get sick of the leftovers. In summer I keep fresh salads in the refrigerator and we generally barbecue steak, fish or chicken in the evening. Dessert is fresh berries (home grown and Costco) with whipped cream. Tatua in New Zealand make great fresh UNSWEETENED cream in a dispenser can so it comes out whipped cream. Costco sell it regularly.

We are super lucky to have a thriving low calorie industry here. Have a look at https://www.lowcarbemporium.com.au/ and you will see what I mean. I send them an order at LEAST once a month. My husband cannot live without the "Noshu" brownies; he bakes them every weekend. My favourite low cal brands are Noshu and Celebrate Health.

Reactions: Kate