• ☝️A newly developed meal plan for people taking Duromine is available now❗️ With a proper diet, you can lose TWICE as much weight 📉!
Hi everyone.
I am very new to this forum & I will not lie, a bit nervous. I’ve been on 15mg Duromine for 1mnth & then 30mg Duromine for just over a month & a bit. My problem was that I was not a good eater to start off with, so my metabolism was shot! The GP has prescribed me the Duromine. I also started doing 2 Nuzest protein shakes a day & a small, clean dinner. I battle with depression so I am on meds for that, all done WITH my GP’s approval. So far I’ve lost 5kgs only. Doing all the above & drinking 2+Litres if water a day. 5kgs doesn’t seem that much in comparison to other people I’ve read about & it’s so disheartening I’m wondering if I need to try the 40mg but I believe that NZ doesn’t stock that strength. Any ideas please??
Thanks so much.

Oh my... how could I miss this entry. What a huge progress! I hope that you're still going strong, and yes, gains can happen, it's a normal thing.
A food diary is a nice thing if somehting like this happens. You can review your nutrition and activity and see whether you did something wrong, or it's just your body playing tricks (or maybe even the scales).

Hello Simone! You see, the fact that other people lose more kilos, doesn’t mean that you should give up and feel down. The weight loss rate depends on so many factors, starting with your initial stats and eating behavior, ending with other meds that you take. For example, many antidepressants can cause weight gain. Since you are on these, your weight loss may be hindered… though of course it doesn’t mean that you should stop taking them. Duromine can aggravate mental conditions, so no playing here.

Besides, you mentioned that your metabolism has shot, so… sometimes, your body needs time to get it back to a normal rate.

In addition, I did not notice any mention of physical activity. If you did not increase it, you should. If you’re not into long walks, jogs, etc, you can opt for truly short trainings. There are zillions of options on youtube, which last 5-10 minutes and give you a huge metabolic boost. No wasting lots of time, but working you’re a.. off – and you’re good! =))

As for switching to 40mg.. it usually only makes sense when the appetite suppression is gone.

Thank you April. I guess my main concern was that the GP wouldn’t be happy with that loss & want me to stop
The plan is to do more physical activities & maybe try more water? I actually have found I feel pretty “stable” mood wise on the Duromine, I guess I am lucky in that sense. I wish I could try the 40mg, not sure how I would go about getting it. Thanks for your reply!

You can try more water, though, i believe, your current intake is quite ok. When you exercise, of course, you should drink more.
You know, you can try alternating your calories. I mean, eat the same approx. 1200 calories for 5 days, and switch to 1500 OR 800 for two days, then continue with 1200. it works for some people, and helps chock their body a little.
As for 40mg in NZ, I am not sure... sorry. But we have two sellers here, in the category SELL, they are pinned and marked with green as approved. not sure though whether they deliver to NZ.

Reactions: SimoneC3
Well done, you've done so well! I also wonder what's happened, I'm on Day 8 and I had lost 2kgs for my first week on 15mg Duromine and today I seem to have put back on 1kg. So that means I am now 83kg. To be honest, I decided this morning to take two of my tablets to make it a 30mg dose as the past few days I have been feeling like the appetite suppressant affect has started waning a bit.

Reactions: April
Awesome job so far!! I lost 2.4kgs on my first week, then the second week I didn't lose a single gram. This week I'm down another 1.6kg, so to go up and down a bit is probably normal- fluid retention, that time of the month, the time of day you weigh yourself etc can all play a part!
Just think, the slower you lose it, the easier it is to maintain and keep it off :)

Reactions: Sylvia and April
Hey guys,

I am Jes, I’m 19 years old and have been on Duromine for a little over 2 months (I have 3 more scripts left) and I have lost 16.6kg since the 6th of July.

I am eating about 700-900 calories a day, I’m using EasyDietDiary to track my food intake. My usual food consists of
Breakfast: Sometimes I will eat a piece of fruit - between 8am and 12pm but if I’m not hungry I will wait for lunch.
Lunch: Optifast shake - between 2pm and 4pm
Dinner: either salad (feta, olives, capsicum, half a cap of dressing, half an avocado, 2 slices of red onion with a can of tuna in spring water or chicken) or steamed vegetables (2 baby potatoes, 1 baby carrot, brussel sprouts, a corn cobette with some sauce)
Snacks: Sometimes I don’t have snacks but if I do I will have baby carrots (4-6) with hummus, a can of tuna in spring water, macro lentil chips, pistachios or fruit.
Water: I am really trying to drink as much as I can, I would say I drink about 1.5-2 litres a day.

I go to the gym 5 days a week and I am there for 90+ minuets, I do 1 hour on the treadmill (quick walking pace), then 10-15 minuets on pin loaded weight machines, 10-15 minuets on the stationary bike (tred 10). I then do 20-30 minuets of ab, leg and butt workouts finishing with light stretching. I go to the gym about the same time every day, between 12pm and 3pm. I have also started attending fitness classes around my local area such as: ballet barre classes and yoga.

My whole perception on food has changed, it’s no longer something I want or crave. I haven’t craved any particular foods in like 5 weeks. I’m a structured eater so I’ve set my meals and I stick to them.

My start weight was 127kg, and am now at 111.2kg, I’m aware that’s a big loss but I am just not feeling as though I’ve lost enough for 2+ months. I am beginning to feel really upset as I see no difference in my body and my clothes don’t fit well anymore but I haven’t lost enough to be a new size. My friend is having a baby shower in 2 weeks and I have nothing to wear, I cried in a dressing room yesterday because nothing fit and none of my clothes fit and I have no bloody clue what I’m meant to wear.

I feel as though I hate my body more now than I did before I started this.

About 2 weeks ago I stopped losing weight and today I am down 1kg from then. I am not losing motivation, I like the way I feel now and want to persue a healthy life and loose more weight. But I’m struggling with losing it. I would ideally I would have liked to be 100kg by the 30th of September (2 weeks away).

I am going to see an exercise physiologist to teach me exercises to aid the weight loss and a dietitian to help me plan meals. I have two dinner variations I know I will get sick of them soon. Although the next appointment for both is in mid October.

I am really scared for when I don’t have duromine anymore. It a big anxiety for me that soon I won’t have it anymore and I know being dependent on something like this isn’t healthy but I’m just scared I’ve put all this effort in and will continue and that I don’t have duromine the loss will just stop. I’ve never lost this much weight before in my life and I’m scared I’m going to ‘the fat girl’ forever.

Just wondering if you guys had some tips of promoting weight loss? Please help me

Love jes xxx

Hi jess! Congrats on losing so much :) i think from my reading in here, your calorie intake is a little bit low because uve been exercising so your body might be thinking ure in starvation mode hence it holds on to the remaining fats and wont let go. Im not an expert but i think its pretty close? kate the admin has good explanation about this maybe you can leave her a message? :)

I know its daunting to eat more cals, im having the exact same feeling bcse of my mindset - eating less means losing weight. But our body has this great system of not letting us to die from starvation just so soon as we cut calories so they prevent any weight loss from happening to save us. Ive made the mistake of eating very little calories too and after losing so much my weight is creeping back on despite exercising and now im back on duromine trying to do it right. Im trying to maintain eating 1100-1200 cals per day (no carb high protein high fat) Im on day 2.

Check ur basic calories needed to lose weight here on this website calculator dot net/calorie-calculator . I cant paste link yet being a newbie :)

Good luck with your weight loss journey and dont give up just yet! :)

Hi girls
I agree with missclaire 100%. I really think you need to increase your calorie intake to between 1100-1200 per day. I know it might sound scary to eat more when you’re trying to lose weight, but if you don’t eat enough your body will definitely go into starvation mode and your weight will plateau.
A good idea is to alternate the amount of calories you eat each day. For eg: one day eat 1200 cals, the next day eat 1000, next day 1200 ... and so on. It kind of tricks your body.
Please, please, please don’t be despondent about losing a whopping 16kg in 2 months. I only dream of having the same results as you.
Go girls!!

Reactions: Rava and missclaire
Jazz said:
Hi girls
I agree with missclaire 100%. I really think you need to increase your calorie intake to between 1100-1200 per day. I know it might sound scary to eat more when you’re trying to lose weight, but if you don’t eat enough your body will definitely go into starvation mode and your weight will plateau.
A good idea is to alternate the amount of calories you eat each day. For eg: one day eat 1200 cals, the next day eat 1000, next day 1200 ... and so on. It kind of tricks your body.
Please, please, please don’t be despondent about losing a whopping 16kg in 2 months. I only dream of having the same results as you.
Go girls!!

Thanks for agreeing :) Im glad thinking im gonna do it right this time, the alternate method seems good i think i might do just that. Because i still have the fear of eating so much :( so today ill eat 1200 and tomorrow ill go down to 1000 while still having no carb.

Ive stopped running as well just to focus on dieting alone. Once i hit plateau ill hit the gym again and ill give my all out because we cant be using all ‘tools’ in one go our body will adapt and it will be harder to shed even a kilo,isnt it?

Hi all.
I wanted to try Duromine because I had developed some bad eating habits, had put on a fair bit of weight in a short time and was starting to snore and feel uncomfortable.
I didn’t have a lot to lose, but I was still in the overweight range and needed a little help to get rid of it.
My main issue was overeating. In the year prior, I had gradually increased my overall portions which then included desserts. I found that I was getting frantic if I didn’t overeat.
The Doc started me on 15mg and after a week I found they had no effect so I went back and I was put on 30mg.
I took the tablet first thing every morning and have not suffered any significant side effects other than a bit of mild dry mouth now and then and a little restlessness on the odd night.
I found water intake was important and only seemed to get dry mouth or restless if I didn’t drink enough. I aim for 2.5-3ltr a day and as long as I carry it with me, I find it’s pretty easy to do.
I haven’t had huge drops in weight, and it has been a bit up and down depending if I went out celebrating. But in saying that, I have lost about 100g a day on average and have been able to adjust my portion sizes.
Most days I am not taking in enough calories which has had an effect on my overall weight loss. I think if I had the correct intake, I would lose more. Overall though, I am very happy so far. The only thing I wish though is that I started on the 30mg and not the 15mg as I have lost about two weeks off the three months.
I have lost 7kg so far, mostly by portion control. I have changed my diet slightly by cutting out the majority of bread and all soft drinks. I have slightly increased exercise but not enough to mention really. It still takes a bit of will power but Duromine definitely helps.

Hi right back at ya @Scottyh :)

In regards to huge drops in weight - please don't compare yourself to what others are losing! Everybody has a different set of problems, and individually of course we are all unique - stands to reason that Duromine will work differently for each and everyone of us :)

Its of my opinion, that the people with not much to lose and are already eating reasonably sensibly don't drop big numbers. If your issue is just portion control (like you stated) than its not unreasonable to think that you are already eating quite healthy, but need the help Duromine gives to make your meals smaller, and maybe implement an exercise program along the way.

Others may be on Duromine because their patterns are way out of control with excessive hunger and cravings - they then make big changes in their diet, as for the first time their appetites are suppressed and they are not hungry. Salt, sugars and carbs are dramatically reduced, and to top it off, exercise starts to become an everyday occurrence - of course a big drop in numbers on the scale will happen.

A goal of mine when it comes to calories and eating - is what choices can I make NOW that I know I will be able to continue doing after my course of Duromine runs out. Its all about sustainability IMHO.

So please have a look at your calories and track what you eat, you want to make sure you are eating healthily and sensibility so that when you finish Duromine you can keep your new habits going strong :)

Have a look at a food tracker like "My Fitness Pal" or "Lose It" - both have free options as well as apps for all phones :)

@Scottyh - hope you have been going well, this last week :)

Rava said:
Hi right back at ya @Scottyh :)

In regards to huge drops in weight - please don't compare yourself to what others are losing! Everybody has a different set of problems, and individually of course we are all unique - stands to reason that Duromine will work differently for each and everyone of us :)

Its of my opinion, that the people with not much to lose and are already eating reasonably sensibly don't drop big numbers. If your issue is just portion control (like you stated) than its not unreasonable to think that you are already eating quite healthy, but need the help Duromine gives to make your meals smaller, and maybe implement an exercise program along the way.

Others may be on Duromine because their patterns are way out of control with excessive hunger and cravings - they then make big changes in their diet, as for the first time their appetites are suppressed and they are not hungry. Salt, sugars and carbs are dramatically reduced, and to top it off, exercise starts to become an everyday occurrence - of course a big drop in numbers on the scale will happen.

A goal of mine when it comes to calories and eating - is what choices can I make NOW that I know I will be able to continue doing after my course of Duromine runs out. Its all about sustainability IMHO.

So please have a look at your calories and track what you eat, you want to make sure you are eating healthily and sensibility so that when you finish Duromine you can keep your new habits going strong :)

Have a look at a food tracker like "My Fitness Pal" or "Lose It" - both have free options as well as apps for all phones :)

Hello Rava

Please assist me here, I do not want to eat at all, like I can go a day on just one small apple, no appetite whatsoever, will that slow my weight loss progress?

Thank you

Reactions: Rava
@Sina - hi and welcome :)

I replied over in your other post hun!

If you "post a new thread" pink button on top right side of your screen at the start of posts - it will make it a lot easier for you to keep track of your posts/questions and answers *hugs*

Reactions: Sina
Hi there,
I am also in my second month, just started my second prescription however I am feeling nothing. I have a work that requires me to work overnight over the weekends. My first week was fantastic (last month) was fantastic, sull of energy and no hungry at all, then, second week I had terrible headaches and constipation, following the rest of the month was ok. Nonetheless, in my first pill of this month I felt nothing, I was low energy, hungry and sleepy, no more thirsty sensation which makes me feel concern. I lost 5.4k last month and I felt great but now I am feeling like I am going to put on weight again.

Because I felt the same on my firs overnight shift, I took my pill in the morning (as per usual)and then at night before to go to work and I again felt the hungry suppressed and energy kicking. Although it worked good for me, I dont want to do that again next week in my first overnight shift as I've heard is dangerous. Today I have to sleep during the day to work at night again so i will take my next pill before to star my shift tonight and tomorrow I am not taking the pill as I will be sleeping most of the day same as night to recover my sleeping patterns back to normal. Then I will have my next pill on the following morning after that once a day as per prescription. If I see i am still feeling hungry, I will see the doctor to have a highest mg pill (40mg). Hope I can reach my goal. I am excercising and eating healthy however I don't want to star feeling cravings again.

The only thing I can suggest @suridia is to have a break. Take a week off and then re-start them. It could be your body has adjusted to the Duromine. I personally right now am doing this too.

Rava said:
The only thing I can suggest @suridia is to have a break. Take a week off and then re-start them. It could be your body has adjusted to the Duromine. I personally right now am doing this too.
Thanks for the advise Rava. Please tell me what you think about to change it to higher dose. (40ml) I think that I a leave it for few days, I will put weight on. I was exercising but I had to stop due to overnight shifts. I am feeling hungry, very very hungry but I recon I will be more hungry if I leave the pills. In last month I lost 8ks.

I’m almost 2 months into my first time trying Duromine. I started at 99kg about two and a half years ago. It was then that I decided I wanted to get down to a healthy weight - and that I didn’t want to walk a miserable path to get there.

I am a hedonist. I do not like going to the gym, or regular scheduled exercise, so I don’t do it. I was told that building muscle would improve my metabolism but also that those muscles would degrade into fat once I stopped (I have since heard this is not quite the case) so I wasn’t interested in building muscle I would have to maintain for life. As the anti-Deadpool, my slogan is “minimal effort”.

I got rid of about 22kg very slowly over two years, with swings up and down (holidays, the discovery of and weaning off of Uber eats), mostly by replacing sodas with sugar-free variants and then those with water, and chocolate with low-cal alternatives. I fell off the chocolate wagon dozens of times every year, but got better and went longer each time.

I would say that kicking sugar addiction was and is the single most powerful key for me. When I experimented with keto (net loss 6kg over a couple of months), the carb limit helped me finally kick it for semi-good. It felt like a detox. Afterwards, chocolate tasted ‘too sweet’ and became unattractive to get back into.

Unfortunately, two years in and I started to plateau. It couldn’t be explained away by Uber eats binges, or unrecorded slips. When I looked for help, I was told ‘exercise more or cut back on calories unless you’re already at 1200 (which I was)’. I tried calorie cycling and only got some gained weight out of it.

Discouraged, I was further told ‘sometimes bodies just decide where they want to be. It’s a survival tactic’. Apparently, my body wanted to survive by being obese.

I didn’t want to try any serious diet drug and had ‘heard things’ about amphetamines so I tried coffee pills. My hope was that it would make me ‘perky’ and ‘energetic’ without the calories of a cuppa twice a day.

No change. It gave no energy at all (in hindsight, that might have been the sugar in my coffees). It just prevented me feeling tired and in fact meant I was awake more to snack more. :/

Three months of trying everything I could think of later and I finally tried duromine.

My first thought was: ‘is this how normal people feel all the time?’

Energetic. Productive. If I had an impulse to do a chore or go to the park, I simply would. It was good.

It lasted two days, during which I suffered from minor headaches and insomnia. After that, both good and bad side effects subsided and I just felt normal.

I also didn’t feel like snacking. I would look at a doughnut and my mouth would go ‘yum’ but my stomach would go ‘nah, don't want’. Same for the morning coffee (which you should NOT HAVE when taking duromine). I was worried about my afternoon-at-the-office cravings for mochas - but it was gone. Duromine were like caffeine pills in that it kept me awake with no afternoon crash. I could walk to a cafe with my colleagues without the slightest risk of a ‘weak moment’ social purchase.

The freedom from ‘weak moments’ cannot be overstated. It’s wonderful.

A month in, I mentioned to my doctor that I wished I could have that energy level back from the first couple of days. I did, after all, already have good control over my calorie intake. The drug made it easier and supposedly it was increasing my metabolism, but if I was not going out for walks because it made me want to do something, what was the point?

I had an increase in blood pressure but no other side effects so he upped my dose. A couple of days of even more minor headaches and insomnia and it was like nothing changed at all. I should switch back down to the lower dose but am concerned it may somehow be less effective now?

I like Duromine. I think, if you’re lucky enough to avoid the worst side effects, it’s genuinely useful. It has helped me break my plateau, helped me avoid temptation even when out with friends and has had a minor effect where I am more likely to ‘go a little further’ than I normally would. Such as making a round-trip to a specialty store on foot instead of by bus (1.5 hours) or walking two hours to a park and back, or four hours to another specialty store (I got the bus back that time).

Because Duromine suppresses hunger, I am combining it with fasting when it suits me. Nothing stressful or major. I just stop eating by a certain time at night (which changes as I feel like) and sleep in (if it’s an option) the next day. I always wake briefly to take my pill so by the time I wake up for good, it’s in full swing and I’m not hungry. I’ll have a late lunch and an early dinner and if I break or under-shoot the fasting window, no stress. It’s just a fun bonus thing I can do now, thanks to duromine.

If my loss continues at this slow and healthy rate (0.5kg pw), I think I’ll ask to do one more 3-month course to put my BMI back in normal range. Then I’ll be stopping - and I’ll be genuinely sad about that.

I like feeling awake and clear headed all day. I like walking more than I ever did before. I like that time seems to slow down and I can enjoy my afternoon after work and not ‘blink and it’s past midnight’. I love being free from my body craving snacks and sugar and coffee. If only it didn’t carry the risks it does, I would happily take it forever like I take the pill.

I am concerned about how I will manage my appetite after I finish the course. I wouldn’t have ever said I had a problem with wanting to eat (beyond craving the sugar in them) before now, but I’m very mindful of ‘bounce back’ from a body that might be sending starvation signals I can’t feel yet. I’m currently planning on continuing my current meals pattern, as it is 1200 calories, familiar and allows for three meals and snacks. I will update how that goes when I get there.

Here’s hoping my experience continues to be positive, that my account may be helpful to people considering taking the drug and that we all of us get where we’re going.